Please help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help!

Hello, My 4 month old GSD puppy (41lb) started limping on his left front leg 2 days ago, so to be in safe side I took him to the Vet yesterday, he examined my puppy (didnít get any pain response) and said he may just have sprain/pulled a muscle (my pup likes to play rough in dog park and catching freebie). He sent us home without any painkiller, advising me to reduce his activity and lots of create rest. My pup is behaving normal (apart from limping) he still wants to play and jump, making it very difficult to minimize his activity. Also I donít want to give him any OTC painkiller, so I started researching and went thru all the related thread (read about PONA and HD) on this forum. I was thinking to purchase some kind of natural anti-inflammatory/pain killer meds. I came across Arnica Montana and Traumeel on this forum. You all are so much knowledgeable and experienced, so i turn to you all for help. Could any one please suggest that either of these products would be right for my puppy's limping issue and also itís safe to give it to my 4 month old puppy? Thanking you in advanced.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help!-1911698_488079694631728_1413103910_n.jpg  
Bijgish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Iím glad that you saw your vet to rule out any major problems. Did he mention if he thought it possibly may be the starting of Panosteitis? Just a thought.

I just gave our dog his last dose of Traumeel about an hour ago. He was catching his Frisbee on the jagged snow here, hyper-extended his toe and started limping. I immediately started the Traumeel and next day took him to the Chiropractor to be adjusted. We tried to keep him at a low activity level, but as with your pup, that doesnít work so well for him! So we kept him on a leash or just walking up and down the drive way for 4 days and today he is not showing any signs of limping.

You could use both, but they would need to be given at different times.

The Traumeel is a combination of Homeopathic ďremediesĒ, which has the Arnica Montana in it, and the Arnica Montana is a single ďremedyĒ. Both are for an injury such youíve have described.

TRAUMEEL: Inflammation of muscles, bone, soft tissue, tendon, ligaments, nerves.
Ingredients:

Aconitum napellus
Arnica Montana, radix
Bellis perennis
Calendula officinalis
Chamomilla
Echiacea Agustifolia
Echinacea purpurea
Hammamelis virginiana
Herpar Sulphuris calcareum
Hypericum perforatum
Mercurius solubilis
Millefolium
Symphytum officianale

Liquid: 10 drops 3 x daily in a clean mouth (away from food or water for at least 20 minutes on each side).

Arnica Montana: Primary use: Trauma and bruising: ďArnica is one of the most useful homeopathic remedies for dogs. It is useful in almost any injury, especially for blunt traumas that result in bruising It is used primarily for muscle soreness and bruising due to blunt trauma but also can be useful as a first approach to overstrain.Ē

Arnica 30c: 3 pellets or tablets 3 x daily in a clean mouth. If it is pellets, you'll need to dissolve in a small amount of purified water before administering as they don't melt quickly like the tablets do.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Hope this helps!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I went through this (it ended up being a shoulder strain) and used Arnica very successfully

OK, so Hans is limping and it's more than likely Pano...
Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you Sunflowers and Momto2GSDs for your reply, Momto2GSDs yes I did mention PONA to my vet but he doesnít recon that what is causing Tiger (Tiger is my pupís name, DH is a big fan of LSU hence the name and purple collar) to limp. I went to health store and got Traumeel. DH doesnít know about this and according to him Tiger is ok he just need rest but I just cant see my baby suffer so I went through to entire Health and Wellness Forum and Google to do research.

The good news is we already have vet appointment next Saturday for Tigerís last round of shot so I am hoping that with Traumeel and good rest Tiger should be back to normal. If not we will be asking vet to do x-rays.

Momto2GSDs I do have question for you, I have the tablet form of Traumeel so what would be the dosage for 4 months old puppy. Recommended Use on the bottle is
Adults and children above 6 years: 1 tablet sublingually or dissolved completely in mouth 3 times daily or as directed by a physician. Infants and children to 6 years: 1/2 the adult dosage. I asked at the health store but the lady said they have only sold this for human and not for dogs so she could not give me any advice. Would you please kindly let me know how much and how to. I really appreciate your help.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sunflowers....so nice to hear of the success you had with the Arnica!

Bijgish......When I have the tablets, I give 2 or 3 tablets - 3 x daily.

Hope this helps!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Keep in mind that your pain med may make the dog more active than he would be without it. That activity could agravate the injury.

I'd talk to the vet before giving any pain meds. They may not always explain it, but they often have reasons for not perscribing a med.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've given buffered aspirin. Seemed to work very well, and the plainest of all medicine you can find.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for your kind input. I have given 2 Traumeel tablets to Tiger and eagerly waiting for it to work. Will keep you updated. Thank you all again.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Rest.
Anti-inflammatories. It would not hurt your pup for a couple days to take a small dose, but your vet should recommend the type and dosage.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 02:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lovely looking puppy.

Definitely rest him, don't allow him to jump or sprint with sudden stops and leave forced exercise for a few weeks, just allow him to safely navigate the backyard etc.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.