First night home AKA the night from **** + diarrhea/vomiting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy First night home AKA the night from **** + diarrhea/vomiting

Hi all,

Liesje kindly directed me to this forum.

We picked up our puppy (8wks old) yesterday. His name in Hans and he is a WGSL. We got him from a great breeder in Ontario (Dei Precision) and the puppy is wonderful and a little too smart for his own good, haha. Within 5 mins of the first time we put him in his ex pen, he figured out how to pop the door open. We then figured out a way to better "reinforce" the door so that he can't do it in the future.

He came home and had a fairly solid log poop. However, in the evening around 7 pm his poop was sort of a soft pile. Then we transitioned to 4x pudding-poop variety and finally total liquid diarrhea between 1 am and 7 am. Initially he was crated in our room and whined for the first 10 mins or so when we went to bed but then happily slept for just over 2 hours until he started barking and banging on the crate and that's when he had his first pudding poop. As he kept having to go basically every hour and we hadn't slept a wink, we decided to move him to his ex pen which was covered in newspapers. The thought was that if we can't get him out of his crate & into the yard quickly enough I'd rather not have him have diarrhea all over himself in the crate. ANYWAY, he HATES the pen. He essentially had a complete meltdown in there - whining, screaming, barking, ramming his body into the walls of the pen, biting at the wire, jumping on it, scratching with his paws, etc. And he was screaming and crying so much that at one point he just hurled up the contents of his dinner.

I'm waiting for the vet to open at 8:30 and will give them a call. I think that this is all stress related. He had his first set of shots 2 days ago (including parvo), and he made the journey alone with the breeder yesterday to the city where he had to wait in the breeder's office for a couple of hours until I came to pick him up. He was also the first of his litter to leave as the rest are going home today. He is still very active and bites us constantly, chews on every area rug/mat he finds, land sharks for any sign of an abandoned shoe or slipper, etc. He does like his Nylabone a whole lot and seems to prefer soft toys to rubber for now.

I've made sure that he's drinking a ton of water. We are feeding him the same food that he has been fed (breeder gave us a bag of it). He ate yesterday like he'd been starving for a month, but this morning he wasn't really interested in his food and maybe had 1/4 of a cup. I don't blame him given his tummy issues.

Should I be worried or is this probably stress?

Sorry for the essay....
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could be stress. Or could be not. Mine had a mess coming home from stress. But it never hurts to take him to the vet and call the breeder.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Good idea to get to the vet to be sure. With such a young pup they can quickly get into trouble just from dehydration. Good to heads up the breeder for the other pups too.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

just a thought on the crate/pen screaming. He's terrified. He's alone and in a strange place. When I brought Seger home, I put him in a crate and put it right on the bed with me so I could sleep with my hand in the crate. Others have slept on the floor by the crate or IN the pen with them. He needs your nearness right now. Try that at night and see if it doesn't calm him down a bit.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks.

The vet thinks he may either have a bacterial intestinal infection or his intestinal flora is unbalanced (based on smear analysis). Gave him antibiotics and some bismuth salicylate and will run a parvo test on the stool sample just in case though he doesn't think that's likely as no blood in diarrhea. Hans is just sitting with us on the couch now and catching up on the sleep he didn't get last night.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
just a thought on the crate/pen screaming. He's terrified. He's alone and in a strange place. When I brought Seger home, I put him in a crate and put it right on the bed with me so I could sleep with my hand in the crate. Others have slept on the floor by the crate or IN the pen with them. He needs your nearness right now. Try that at night and see if it doesn't calm him down a bit.
Midnite at about 8 months old had issues with the crate. My son slept on the floor next to him, it did work.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"Hans is just sitting with us on the couch now and catching up on the sleep he didn't get last night. " Maybe you should seize the opportunity because it sounds like you didn't get much sleep either...

Hope he's OK, glad that the vet doesn't think it is parvo. You don't want that stuff. (I was going to say 'crap' but you've had enough of that...)
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Since this is a medical issue, I would make sure to tell your breeder. They are probably going to want to know this

Old 03-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I hope it's just stress. We had loose poops the first 24 hours as well.
Zoe was the same about her crate the first night and I ended up sleeping on the floor for 2 weeks. I honestly did not know a puppy could scream so loud. So after the 2 weeks she definitely was more secure and she adjusted just fine to sleeping in her crate next to our bed. Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks. I've emailed the breeder to let him know.

It's been 5 hours since the last bowel movement. Hans has woken up from a long nap and he is back to being his normal landshark self and hunting around for our shoes. He ate about 1/2 a cup of food as well and then proceeded to tear up all the newspapers on the floor and is currently set on ripping apart the area rug. So we feel way better!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.