German Shepherds Forum banner

HELP! What is this?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  blackshep 
#1 ·
Stella juat threw up 3 times....mostly bile but the first "event" had a large piece of what looked like bone in it. But....it isn't as hard as bone...

I suspect it is part of the knuckle bone she was chewing yesterday.

I am nervous now. I have never seen anything so large being thrown up. And maybe she has other "chunks" of bone stuck?

Should I take her to the e vet? She doesn't seem to be in distress...

Or should I wait and call her vet in about 2 hours?

She just switched to raw food 2 weeks ago.

I am going to take her for a walk and see if she poops and then maybe give the e vet a call....

#2 ·
could very well be from the bone, I think your plan is a good one, see if she potties and maybe call the vet if you think she isn't acting right Hope shes ok!

#5 ·
Gator rarely gets a bone because he overindulges and then throws up chunks of bone hrs later. As for the other end, usually just fine...more chalky.

The bone frag is softer due to the stomach acids breaking it down for digestion. Hence why dogs can eat raw bones.

#6 ·
Whew. Thanks for the reassurance. Her poop was fine. I called the e vet and they said to just make sure she doesn't keep throwing up all day, especially after she eats.

She had her food 2 hours ago and all seems normal.

I may have over reacted but I never saw such a big chunk of anything come up before.

I just started raw and am trying to find something for her to chew between meals as she acts like she is starving! So I bought a knuckle bone for her to chew on yesterday. Now I am wondering if it is ok for her to chew that bone?

#7 ·
If a dog is throwing up bile it most likely means their stomach was empty for too long. I give my guys treats when I put them to bed at night - it keeps them from bile urping. :)

As for the item she urped - there's only two ways for things to leave a dogs body - back up the throat or out the back end. If the body doesn't think the piece is manageable trough the back end it will try to get rid of it via the front. ;)

Perfectly normal.

#8 ·
My rescue was throwing up yellow bile a couple of times/week (acidic stomach) and my vet suggested pepcid. I put the tiny little pill in his kong with peanut butter and I'm happy to report that vomiting bile has stopped.

#9 ·
I get the empty stomach... and I do give her a snack before bed. When I was feeding kibble, she got a cup at bedtime along with some canned food. Now with the raw I am not sure what kind of snack to give her....last night I gave her some of her raw food in her bowl AND some raw that I froze in an old marrow bone. I know that raw digests way faster so what other snack can I give at night to keep her tummy happy???

In another thread I mentioned that she is constantly hungry now. I can't afford to feed her 3 or 4 or 5 lbs of raw food daily!!!! I bought a knuckle bone in hopes that it would keep her happy between meals.....

#11 ·
I just give a couple of dog cookies before bed. I generally make them myself so we can save a little and I can control the ingredients.

I know this isn't practical for most, but I found that my older dog(s) did better with a mid day snack. I just lowered their main meals a bit and give about 4oz that at lunch.

My male also became a bit more food obsessed after switching to raw. I wonder if you have a little bit of that going on...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#12 ·
Don't worry, nothing horrible has happened, that what you saw were absolutely normal stomach contents in mid-process of digestion, except the size of the bone. Normally it is a chewed bone mass, but, something made your dog to swallow it. It could be hunger, she simply wanted to fininish it quickly and grab the next bit, but it also could be a bell to your front door, or something else outer. Provide bones after the meaty meal, so she could leave it if she doesn't really want to work on it. If her stomach was full when the door bell rang/dogs barked in the window,whatever, her emotions would have been suppressed by it and she wouldn't have swa;llowed such a large bit. Another reason could have played any role - she didn't learn to chew bones yet. Start training with a whole beef thigh bone, its texure and size discourages the dog to finish it too quickly. You have to provide your dog with large bones if you want her to have white healthy teeth and healthy guts.

#13 ·
No bone for Miss Stella today! She is fine.... But I am not quite ready to see that again!
Any ideas on what kind of snack to give her? I suppose I could make my own cookies....not sure how.
Tonight I gave her 3 milkbones, frozen coconut oil, and a marrow bone filled with cheese. Maybe a cup of her kibble before bed??? Although I wanted to get away from that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.