Diarrhea - and the "straight poop" thread - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Diarrhea - and the "straight poop" thread

Both my dogs came down with diarrhea about two days ago. I assume it's something they ate; oddly a third dog we were sitting was fine. They're on a raw-when-we-have-it, otherwise Origen kibble diet - unchanged for months. The only raw thing they've had for a few days was some pork neck bones, but "guest" dog #3 was also chewing them...

But both my dogs threw up (hours after their meal, well-digested kibble.) Just one incident of vomit, really. Then the diarrhea started. My boy, Caesar, just had it once or twice and seems to be okay.
Kalypso has had the runs literally every 2-3 hours since then. Which is very annoying in the middle of the night! I'm getting pretty good at flying out of bed though.

I guess we'll start to feed her pumpkin? What else should we do, and how long until we call the vet?

Thanks in advance. I'm typing this at 3:30AM.
JaimeZX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

My apologies for the lack of detail on the diarrhea: I would characterize it as thin chocolate pudding. "Watery" might be over-stating it, but it definitely puddles. And it stinks. And my poor girl farts very loudly as it's coming out.

She is otherwise acting normal but I know this can't be fun for her!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

When mine come down with diarrhea I usually do white rice, pumpkin and boiled chicken. If that doesn't fix it in about a day I take a stool sample to the vet just to be sure. Then if things start to firm up I slowly mix kibble back in with the rice/pumpkin/boiled chicken. Mine usually eats pumpkin about once a day regardless.
Okin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okin View Post
When mine come down with diarrhea I usually do white rice, pumpkin and boiled chicken. If that doesn't fix it in about a day I take a stool sample to the vet just to be sure. Then if things start to firm up I slowly mix kibble back in with the rice/pumpkin/boiled chicken. Mine usually eats pumpkin about once a day regardless.
Really? Every day? Not worried about constipation?
Anyway, looks like I'm picking up chicken and rice on the way home!

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeZX View Post
Really? Every day? Not worried about constipation?
Anyway, looks like I'm picking up chicken and rice on the way home!

Thanks!
I just give her a spoonful with her kibble she seems to have pretty consistent stools. I give her more when she has the runs. She loves the stuff I kind of use it as a topper.
Okin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hmmm- I think it's odd that they both have diarrhea at the same time. It really does make you think it was something they ate - or a stomach bug.

I would fast - skip at least one meal - if not two. Offer water (don't want dehydration from the diarrhea) no gulping - sipping. Control the water intake. The gut needs a reset.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes. I know, right?

So Kali hasn't pooped since early this afternoon... still puddly diarrhea. But the timing is better.
Caesar hasn't pooped today at all.

They both had steamed brown rice / pumpkin / baked chicken for dinner. (All cut up in little pieces.)

Kali has been fine.
Caesar has thrown it all up. But the little kibble he ate this morning seems to have gone down okay.

Kali still acting normal.
Caesar (who is typically pretty low-energy already) seems even MORE low-energy... kind of like one would if one had puked four times in the last hour...

Edit - agree that fasting might be a good idea. No breakfast for them.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doc
Knighted Member

Caesar needs a vet check.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How are they this morning?
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Have them both tested for Giardia using the snap test. The horrible smelling diarrhea is a very typical sign and symptoms can also include throwing up. It is easily treated with 10 days of Panacur, but, depending on the weather conditions, can live in your soil for awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.