German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Diarrhea - and the "straight poop" thread (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/415906-diarrhea-straight-poop-thread.html)

JaimeZX 02-25-2014 03:31 AM

Diarrhea - and the "straight poop" thread

Both my dogs came down with diarrhea about two days ago. I assume it's something they ate; oddly a third dog we were sitting was fine. They're on a raw-when-we-have-it, otherwise Origen kibble diet - unchanged for months. The only raw thing they've had for a few days was some pork neck bones, but "guest" dog #3 was also chewing them...

But both my dogs threw up (hours after their meal, well-digested kibble.) Just one incident of vomit, really. Then the diarrhea started. My boy, Caesar, just had it once or twice and seems to be okay.
Kalypso has had the runs literally every 2-3 hours since then. Which is very annoying in the middle of the night! I'm getting pretty good at flying out of bed though.

I guess we'll start to feed her pumpkin? What else should we do, and how long until we call the vet?

Thanks in advance. I'm typing this at 3:30AM. :p

JaimeZX 02-25-2014 06:56 AM

My apologies for the lack of detail on the diarrhea: I would characterize it as thin chocolate pudding. "Watery" might be over-stating it, but it definitely puddles. And it stinks. And my poor girl farts very loudly as it's coming out.

She is otherwise acting normal but I know this can't be fun for her!

Okin 02-25-2014 07:48 AM

When mine come down with diarrhea I usually do white rice, pumpkin and boiled chicken. If that doesn't fix it in about a day I take a stool sample to the vet just to be sure. Then if things start to firm up I slowly mix kibble back in with the rice/pumpkin/boiled chicken. Mine usually eats pumpkin about once a day regardless.

JaimeZX 02-25-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okin (Post 5083258)
When mine come down with diarrhea I usually do white rice, pumpkin and boiled chicken. If that doesn't fix it in about a day I take a stool sample to the vet just to be sure. Then if things start to firm up I slowly mix kibble back in with the rice/pumpkin/boiled chicken. Mine usually eats pumpkin about once a day regardless.

Really? Every day? Not worried about constipation?
Anyway, looks like I'm picking up chicken and rice on the way home!

Thanks!

Okin 02-25-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaimeZX (Post 5087170)
Really? Every day? Not worried about constipation?
Anyway, looks like I'm picking up chicken and rice on the way home!

Thanks!

I just give her a spoonful with her kibble she seems to have pretty consistent stools. I give her more when she has the runs. She loves the stuff I kind of use it as a topper.

Courtney 02-25-2014 03:45 PM

Hmmm- I think it's odd that they both have diarrhea at the same time. It really does make you think it was something they ate - or a stomach bug.

I would fast - skip at least one meal - if not two. Offer water (don't want dehydration from the diarrhea) no gulping - sipping. Control the water intake. The gut needs a reset.

JaimeZX 02-25-2014 09:51 PM

Yes. I know, right?

So Kali hasn't pooped since early this afternoon... still puddly diarrhea. But the timing is better.
Caesar hasn't pooped today at all.

They both had steamed brown rice / pumpkin / baked chicken for dinner. (All cut up in little pieces.)

Kali has been fine.
Caesar has thrown it all up. But the little kibble he ate this morning seems to have gone down okay.

Kali still acting normal.
Caesar (who is typically pretty low-energy already) seems even MORE low-energy... kind of like one would if one had puked four times in the last hour... :(

Edit - agree that fasting might be a good idea. No breakfast for them.

Doc 02-25-2014 11:18 PM

Caesar needs a vet check.

Courtney 02-26-2014 08:51 AM

How are they this morning?

lhczth 02-26-2014 09:21 AM

Have them both tested for Giardia using the snap test. The horrible smelling diarrhea is a very typical sign and symptoms can also include throwing up. It is easily treated with 10 days of Panacur, but, depending on the weather conditions, can live in your soil for awhile.