German Shepherds Forum banner

random vomiting.

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  kakarot 
#1 ·
He's puked a couple times this week.. once a few days ago, and once just now. It happens either super late at night or early in the morning, but he pukes in his crate. When I let him out to clean, I feed him and he eats normally.. doesn't puke. He doesn't have diarrhea either, still active, he just randomly decides to puke.

- He had his first set of shots February 15th.
- He took Trifexis on February 16th.
- He's been on Antibiotics since February 16th until the 22nd.

Don't know if those could have caused anything but.. the info is there just in case.

Anyone else have puking puppies? :|

#4 ·
I agree it's probably just bile. Try adding a small snack before bed and see if that solves the issue :)

#5 ·
Yeah, it is yellowish. The first time it was kinda chunky, but this time it was more liquid. I'll snack him up before bed and see if that works. I've been hesitant to feed him after a certain time at night so he doesn't poop in his crate >< thanks!

and yeah. all the vaccinations, dewormer, and the antibiotics.. so much for a 8 week pup. He's 10 weeks today! ♥

#6 ·
If you are crate training, you can utilize a 'special' treat at night after you give him your crate command. Then, if you get up with him in the evening to potty, use the crate command and treat again.

Just remember to incorporate your 'treats' as part of his over all food intake. You don't want to get a pudgy puppy!!!

#7 ·
If he is 10 weeks on the 24th and he got his vaccination and antibiotics and flea treatment Trifexis on the 15, and 16
then he was in his 8th week , barely 9 weeks of age.

Why all this on such a young pup. Were anti biotics really necessary ?

Flea treatment -- Trifexis causes vomiting , has been recalled late last year , and has caused deaths . https://www.change.org/petitions/fda-elanco-recall-the-preventative-dog-tablet-trifexis and so many other reports , but I'll let you look into that yourself.

That is a lot of service for the young dog. In my opinion , sure to keep you as a steady customer ---

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah. When we got him, he had this.. gash on his face and it got infected.. so he needed the antibiotics (it was turning cyst like).. but they also did the 1st set of vaccinations and monthly dewormer since he was 8 weeks.. (they were saying 8 weeks was when he needed to get first vaccinations and deworming?) and his second set at 12 weeks. His face is a lot better, but he finished the antibiotics on the 22nd and haven't given it to him since. He only puked way late into the night the first time (5 AM) middle of last week and then earlier this morning (9 AM), but I try to not feed him after 10 PM.. so what the others said, he's probably just throwing up bile.

Yeah id ditch the trifexis but its probably nothing to be concerned about.
Is there a recommendation I should make to the vet..? I'll do some research and see what's best.. I don't want to tell her to change it and then have her put him on something else that sucks. :| Thanks everyonee.

#15 · (Edited)
Okay, thanks! I'll see about him getting swapped on our next visit in March. :)

It's more common in the warmer states.. since mosquitoes like to hang around where it's warm. Annoying butthole mosquitoes. I heard Texas and Florida have heart worm year-round.. super south and near the water.

#14 ·
Is there a recommendation I should make to the vet..? I'll do some research and see what's best.. I don't want to tell her to change it and then have her put him on something else that sucks. :| Thanks everyonee.
kakarot: We are in south Texas also. Nikki's vet does not like Trifexis because he has seen so many dogs get sick from it. We are using Heartgard Plus and Frontline Plus (every three months) for fleas, Nikki has a flea allergy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.