German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Scratching and whining. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/415370-scratching-whining.html)

kakarot 02-24-2014 04:32 AM

Scratching and whining.

Took our pup to the vet for 1st shots, deworming, etc. and I mentioned to the vet that he's been scratching his neck area a bunch.. but she did see anything and suggested it was probably his collar.

So, we don't put the collar on him unless he needs it on (rarely), but he still scratches his neck and his ears.

This past week, whenever he's about to scratch or is in the process of scratching he WHINES. Like.. -whine..scratchscratchwhinescratch-

He's on Trifexis, vet didn't detect of find any fleas on him or anything.. we haven't given him a bath because he has a wound on his face which is almost healed but we didn't want to irritate it with shampoo and all that stuff.. so we've been wiping him down with the kong puppy wipe things whenever we feel he needs it.

If he might have dry skin, how can I fix it? If it might be something else, what could it be and how can it be helped? :D

:help:

Nigel 02-24-2014 05:26 AM

You might try giving him some cold pressed, extra virgin, coconut oil, salmon oil may be helpful too, not sure how much though. My dogs eat the coconut right off the spoon or I'll put a couple spoonfuls on their food, either way they love it. For my dog with allergies, the CO helps quell the itching noticeably.

Apoolutz 02-24-2014 06:05 AM

Might just be puppy dandruff, Gunner had it pretty bad so I added coconut oil to his food 3times daily and brushed him a couple times a day, brushing really loosens the dead skin up, he's almost 15 weeks now and it's all gone.

kakarot 02-24-2014 12:25 PM

Hmm, we might try that. Is there a certain brand you guys get as far as the coconut oil goes? Or any is fine as long as is extra virgin?

Momto2GSDs 02-24-2014 02:06 PM

Possible side effects of Trifexis include: vomiting, itching, lethargy, diarrhea, decreased appetite, rash, and reddening of the ears and/or skin. Use with caution in dogs with pre-existing epilepsy. Puppies less than 14 weeks of age may experience a higher rate of vomiting.

I'd change products::eek:

Death from Trifexis:
Trifexis and Adverse Effects - Whole Dog Journal Blog Article Jim Strickland, a reporter for a TV news station in Atlanta, WSB-TV 2, has been following the story closely, after he received reports from local dog owners about dogs who died following the administration of Trifexis. He was able to obtain both sets of CVM ADE reports, containing data as current as November 14, 2013, concerning Trifexis. (Here is a link to Stricklandís story, which contains links to those ADE reports: Owners blame 700 dog deaths on Trifexis | www.wsbtv.com)
Owners blame 700 dog deaths on Trifexis | www.wsbtv.com
Trifexis flea and heartworm pill blamed for 700 dog deaths - Chicago Dog Scene | Examiner.com

Moms:)

kakarot 02-24-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs (Post 5078178)
Possible side effects of Trifexis include: vomiting, itching, lethargy, diarrhea, decreased appetite, rash, and reddening of the ears and/or skin. Use with caution in dogs with pre-existing epilepsy. Puppies less than 14 weeks of age may experience a higher rate of vomiting.

I'd change products::eek:

Death from Trifexis:
Trifexis and Adverse Effects - Whole Dog Journal Blog Article Jim Strickland, a reporter for a TV news station in Atlanta, WSB-TV 2, has been following the story closely, after he received reports from local dog owners about dogs who died following the administration of Trifexis. He was able to obtain both sets of CVM ADE reports, containing data as current as November 14, 2013, concerning Trifexis. (Here is a link to Stricklandís story, which contains links to those ADE reports: Owners blame 700 dog deaths on Trifexis | www.wsbtv.com)
Owners blame 700 dog deaths on Trifexis | www.wsbtv.com
Trifexis flea and heartworm pill blamed for 700 dog deaths - Chicago Dog Scene | Examiner.com

Moms:)

I'll be sure to let the vet know so she can change it for him next month. >< THANKS!