Allergy or something else? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Allergy or something else?

My WGS Winnie started showing signs of skin irritation about a month ago and I'm starting to feel like my vet is just ensuring future vet visits and not truly addressing the problem. The irritation first started around her eye lid and we originally thought it was swollen, but we have caught her scratching the suspect areas so we now believe its hair loss. The vet said that he didnt think it was mites and gave her a shot of Dexamethasone for inflammation to the original area.

A few weeks later the problem moved to different locations so we took her back. Her eye wasnt any better and a new spot started to form on top of her head and we noticed some nipping at her legs. This time he prescribed Temaril-P, Cephalexin and Ketochlor shampoo. Unfortunately the problem is spreading to more of her head and I'm getting very concerned.

If anyone out there has any suggestions It would be greatly appreciated by myself and especially my WGS Winnie!

Other Info:
Winnie was 4 months when the problem started.

Food was IAMS Proactive Smart Puppy

Switched to Purina Puppy Chow for Large Breads a week after the issue began
Attached Thumbnails
Allergy or something else?-img_20140223_090256_126.jpg   Allergy or something else?-img_20140223_090248_765.jpg   Allergy or something else?-img_20140223_090302_460.jpg   Allergy or something else?-img_20140223_090334_632.jpg  
DereknWinnieTheWGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Poor girl. I'm just throwing this idea out there, since my only issues are food intolerance and seasonal allergies, but do you think there might be something in her environment that she's reacting to? Maybe a soap or a cleaning product? New carpet? Hopefully someone else will have a better idea to help you, if they've dealt with this condition before. Good luck
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

did you test for mange mites.

age appears to be a post-vaccine period
food not particularly good

have you tried Vetericyn

you have to address the dog as a whole , not a symptom .

might need to support the immune system

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

We have been giving her a daily vitamin since before this started. She is currently taking Pet-Tabs made by Pfizer. Do you have any recommendations on a food that's not going to break the bank?

We have gotten her several different dog beds and have been washing blankets with normal detergent. This is somethings that we have considered, but are hoping we didn't waste money on a bad bed or soap. I have also since stopped putting corn out for the squirrels in an attempt to figure out if that was the problem. There is still some out there because it was cracked corn and its almost impossible to get rid of it all.
DereknWinnieTheWGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Poor baby.
Check for fleas.

Even one can cause a chain reaction rash that can get really ugly really fast.

Hans is terribly allergic to flea bites and even if one jumps on and bites him once, he has to go on Zyrtec immediately.
I swear, looking at your pics I see some tiny dots that I suspect to be flea dirt.

My vet loves Dex, too, but I find it is very much a band-aid.

Also, if the food contains chicken or any kind of other poultry, you may want to switch to another protein. Good luck.

Oh... and Penaten cream works wonders on Hans's skin rashes! It is very thick, though. You would only need a rice-sized little pinch for those face sores.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Sunflowers; 02-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm feeding Orijen, which is definitely in the 'break the bank' group when you look at it on its own. But it's actually cheaper when I add up the vet visits and treatments my pup had, if I save on those costs. Figure out what you can afford to spend on food, and then look at the different choices offered at that price point.

I know from my own personal experience, I need to use the detergents that are hypoallergenic. It's a pain in the butt because I'm paying twice as much for these products, compared to what the regular ones cost. But the scents give me migraines so I have no choice.

I used the Vetericyn on my pup's hot spots with great results. It's pricey, but it saved me from future vet visits so it more than paid for itself.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Poor baby. It's hard to say what might be causing this since skin problems are so varied. My white shepherd has allergies too and she currently has a hot spot similar to those on her leg (but we haven't confirmed it is a hot spot due to allergies, or a pressure sore/licking from stress). I use Vetericyn and I like it because she doesn't try to lick it off. If she is really itchy, hydrocortisone is safe for dogs. So is zyrtec.

If it is environmental, my vet said that wiping her down with warm water and diluted hypoallergenic shampoo can help get the allergens off their coat and recommended doing this after walks. But this is mainly for dogs allergic to pollen. If it's something in the house I'm not sure what you can do. We make our own laundry detergent out of borax, washing soda, and Fels Naptha. It's much cheaper than buying detergent.

Usually with a food allergy you will see itchy "ears, feet, and rears." But that doesn't mean switching her food to something higher quality won't help. I also agree that fleas could be a possibility.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.