Hip dysplasia sucks. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Unhappy Hip dysplasia sucks.

In May of 2012, when Versailles was just over a year old, we did prelim xrays so I could decide whether or not to spay her. Her prelims came back moderate which upset me a lot but we moved on.

She's turning 3 on March 20, so I decided to re-xray today just to see how they turned out. Her prelims were done when she was awake and weren't the best, so was hoping maybeeee I'd be lucky and have them go from moderate to mild. Unfortunately, my vet thinks they're between moderate and severe.. Yuck! She's not showing any clinical symptoms (except today, pulling on them definitely made her a bit sore) but I went ahead and got a rx for Carprofen to keep on hand after working her.

I'm going to continue training her; my vet thinks keeping her active and strong is the best thing for her and encouraged me not to slow down. She's a very high drive working dog and I think she'd go insane if she couldn't train anymore.

Anyway, I've got her back on Phycox and started her on Standard Process Ligaplex II at the advice of members on this board. My vet recommends starting her on Purina JM and says it has an awesome amount of fatty acids and omegas. Looking at the reviews, people hate the ingredients, but people seem to find that it really does work. I can get it at 50% off as a veterinary assistant so I may give it a go. Anybody have any experience with it? Any recommendations for anything else I should add or do differently? I want the best for her and she is an absolutely incredible dog. For those wondering, she came from a reputable breeder and her parents both had passing hips. I just have crap luck and apparently needed my first working dog to be broken

Attached the xrays in case anyone is curious. A little crooked but not sending it off to the OFA since I already know she's at least moderate.

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ugh, that does suck I'm sorry. I'm familiar with both of her parents and dogs from that breeding and I know what kind of work they're capable of. Hopefully she stays relatively symptom free for as long as you can help it.
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

She is an absolutely amazing dog. Would have been an incredible addition to the gene pool if her hips were good - very strong, social female who excels in obedience, protection, and retrieve. Doesn't slow down (and has given herself heat stroke while at a boarding facility because of it LOL), doesn't back off of the helper. Very tough. It is super unfortunate, but I would take her temperament over excellent hips any day of the week. I definitely hope that she stays symptom free for a long time (vet says the fact that she is almost 3 and not is a good sign, and that most severe dogs with HD will show by 2 if a total hip replacement is needed).
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lola has HD and I give her glucosamine & chondroitin and green lipped muscle products, she has a score of 38, the dysplasia is fairly even across both hips. I also don't allow her to jump or sprint with sudden stops and keep her weight down. She walks and trots everyday for up to 1 hour.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My Cyra was very high drive and had worse hips at 3 and made it her whole life without needing hip replacement. Around 9 she started needing a little metacam for stiffness but I kept her lean, ran her hard, and avoided jumps and lateral shearing movements (like sharp a lot of sharp turns)....did glucosamine/MSM supplements and kept her lean and wiry. She died around 9 of hemangiosarcoma.

And it DOES suck! You have plans for a dog ... she was ready for SAR certification but I washed her knowing that running through the woods I would never know if she was or was not hurting and jumping over logs, etc. may be too much of the wrong wear and tear.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Sorry you lost her so young, but I appreciate knowing she lived a happy life with bad hips. That is my fear as well - her drive outweighs her pain. She has ripped all four paw pads off on concrete running around and didn't show me any symptoms for hours afterwards. That's why I went ahead and got the Carprofen - I figure dosing her before hard exercise can't hurt her much as long as it's not a daily thing (with her being so young still).

Versailles needs to lose a few pounds, she was great at 60lbs and when I weighed her today for the first time in almost a year found she was 67.. no idea when she gained those extra pounds. She's not 'fat' but I'd like her much thinner for her hips. I figure for Schutzhund I'll only practice the meter jumps before trial and even then, I won't be mad if she touches. I know she can do it so I'm not too worried about drilling her on it.

My vet told me that the quality of life issues really start to arise once muscles weaken and make it difficult for dogs to get around, so contrary to what a lot of people tell me I feel that continuing to work her and keeping her as strong as possible will be the most beneficial for her future.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Purina is terrible food. I would never feed it.

Rafi came to me with HD and is going strong at 7.5 years old. We spent last weekend at my cousins' farm snowshoeing 3 hours a day in very deep snow. He was chasing squirrels and did great for the 4 days we were there.

He is not on any RX but is on a lot of supplements. I feed raw and keep him lean. I adjust his supplements as necessary. Keeping him active has been key. I avoid high impact exercise like running and jumping on hard surfaces and we walk a lot (4 to 5 miles/day). He is off leash for at least a couple of miles and does chase bunnies, balls, etc. In the winter he gets extra exercise because of the snow and in the summer he swims when we are at my cottage.

He also has elbow, shoulder and carpal issues. And no one ever knows.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Feeding raw would be an option if I didn't live in a 600sqft apartment with a half freezer, three dogs, a cat, and a boyfriend. There isn't any way we could fit the freezer needed to feed raw here. Once we get into a house I would consider going back to it (fed raw when I lived in AZ) but for now I'm trying to figure out what is best.

I'm guessing nobody has experience with the JM which was my bigger question - I know the ingredients aren't 'high quality' but I have seen people say that their dog did brilliant on it and that it helped keep them pain free. Personal testimony beats ingredient lists for me.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
Feeding raw would be an option if I didn't live in a 600sqft apartment with a half freezer, three dogs, a cat, and a boyfriend. There isn't any way we could fit the freezer needed to feed raw here. Once we get into a house I would consider going back to it (fed raw when I lived in AZ) but for now I'm trying to figure out what is best.

I'm guessing nobody has experience with the JM which was my bigger question - I know the ingredients aren't 'high quality' but I have seen people say that their dog did brilliant on it and that it helped keep them pain free. Personal testimony beats ingredient lists for me.

One of my vets uses it on her dog with the worst hips I have ever seen. And it has made a huge difference. That is all she uses, no other supplements. She did get him a hip replacement in one hip.

It's not a food I would use for no reason, but to be honest, it's worth a try.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

That's what I've heard - it seems to work. Since she's not clinical at this point it would be more for preventing future pain for as long as possible rather than managing it. Thus, I couldn't say for sure in the future whether or not it worked. I'm hesitant to start on such an expensive food when the ingredients aren't great, but if the consensus of those who have tried it says it made a difference then I'm willing to give it a go.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.