Early Lameness? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Early Lameness?

Hello, everypawdy. I'm new, and hope my first post falls in the right bowl. I know this ultimately requires a vet visit, but maybe someone out there has similar experience. My dog Ticket is an exuberant 4yo who developed a limp in his front left leg about a month ago. He seems quite happy and unaware of it, I can palpate nothing, and it is worse when he gets up after a nap. At 4yo, I think he's too young to be showing such lameness. Any thoughs?
Big Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If hes still limping after one whole month, you should see a vet for an xray. He may need some anti inflammatory meds, and rest. They are never too young for issues with their joints. Hope others come by with more answers.
Msmaria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Some dogs are very good at hiding their pain. If he is limping, then there must be an injury. I've run into this with my mixed breed - she was limping on and off for a long time. I've take her to many vets, and they feel, palpate, manipulate, pull, twist etc 'till the cows come home, and she just lies there, no reaction at all.

Hip xrays were good. We couldn't even figure out which part was sore - Keeta was not cooperating with us at all by not letting us know what hurt! Finally, after still the nth vet vist, one vet noticed a deformity on the inside of one of her knees, and new x-rays showed arthritis - quite advanced at that. There was no swelling, no heat, no indication of pain when manipulated.

From my experience, I'd get it checked with the vet, and pursue a diagnosis quite aggressively if nothing shows up right away.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Really only a vet can tell. Does he jump out of a truck or SUV often? I have had and know enough dogs who wore out there shoulders doing that that I am forcing myself to be rigorous with a ramp for my dog. After a full weekend of jumping out of the truck we had a slight limp that resolved after a few days but that was enough for me.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just thinking, but maybe check for ticks. Isn't limping also a symptom of lyme disease?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Any way if the dog is limping severely or slightly for more than a few days, it is time for a vet check.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vet check. So many things it could be from a cut toe nail/pad to osteosarcoma.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

WE've been going through this for a year now, but with the rear legs. To treat at home, rest your dog for 2 weeks,take your dog outside for elimination and maybe 10min walks 2day. It would be best to get an anti-inflamatory. Then gradually increase exercise, if no improvement, go to an ortho vet. Ours can tell if it is joint issues just by palpating. Soft tissue injuries do not show up on x-rays. Our dog had a torn ligament, had surgery and now is having more soft tissues injuries. We were at the ortho vet today, he found nothing significant, so its exercise restriction and Rimadyl for 2 weeks again. Our dog will be 4 in April. Just like yours, during our activities there was no limping, only at home after resting for a couple hours.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.