German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   A new problem with Sibi... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/413402-new-problem-sibi.html)

jang 02-19-2014 07:30 PM

A new problem with Sibi...

Sib went to the groomer on Mon and has seemed out of sorts since...Starting yesterday she is paying attention to her anus..looking behind hr..scooting on the carpet, etc....She is very lethargic today ...I lifted her tail to check out her butt and she yelped..not at all normal for her..she is tough...I called the groomer to see if they expressed her anal glands and they say no...her anus does look a little irritated to me..but mostly the top of her tail seems swollen, but gosh I don't know ...Anyone have any ideas as to what can be wrong? Could she have somehow hurt her tail..top..at the end of her back...I gave her a tramadol for pain but she still seems out of sorts..She will wag her tail but not like normal..I know a trip to the vet seems in order, however, I badly need eye care and have been saving for that...but, of course, Sib is most important ...Advise?

huntergreen 02-19-2014 10:30 PM

the groomer may have run the clipper over the anus or the shampoo may have iratated the outside of the anus.

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 02-19-2014 11:00 PM

Our Daisy had impacted anal gland issues but they didn't start as suddenly as what your describing with Sibi. I think Hunter Green's thought about shaving to close or an irritation would make more sense. Maybe give it a day or so more and see if it continues.

middleofnowhere 02-20-2014 12:51 AM

Did they perhaps restrain her by her tail or something weird like that?

Colie CVT 02-20-2014 01:07 AM

How she is acting, it sounds like she has something similar to what's called Swimmer's tail. Basically when dogs tend to get it the most, they have been swimming like mad and basically strained the muscle on their tail. They hold their tail down, sit rather quickly, yelp and are resistant to you looking at that area. You can usually tell them fairly easily.

With swelling it never hurts to have a vet trip, and while tramadol is nice for pain, it doesn't do anything for the inflammation part of it. Which tends to be where pain/swelling like to meet. Poor girl. :(

llombardo 02-20-2014 01:50 AM

I have had nothing but problems with my two females and their butts after the groomer. Most groomers do express the glands but not the right way, it's best for a vet to do it. If she wasn't trimmed, ask what kind of comb they used . If they brushed her out to hard they could have irritated her skin. Move her fur to see if skin is irritated.

jang 02-20-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colie CVT (Post 5053562)
How she is acting, it sounds like she has something similar to what's called Swimmer's tail. Basically when dogs tend to get it the most, they have been swimming like mad and basically strained the muscle on their tail. They hold their tail down, sit rather quickly, yelp and are resistant to you looking at that area. You can usually tell them fairly easily.

With swelling it never hurts to have a vet trip, and while tramadol is nice for pain, it doesn't do anything for the inflammation part of it. Which tends to be where pain/swelling like to meet. Poor girl. :(

This sounds like a reasonable explanation...Thanks again..

jang 02-20-2014 07:59 AM

Thanks for all the reply's....She seems about the same today and by Fri if no improvement I will call the vet...

jang 02-21-2014 09:31 AM

Update...Sib is back to normal though I have not tried to even touch her tail...but she is happy again and wagging her whole tail again....