German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Seavive and Seacure (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/413114-seavive-seacure.html)

DHau 02-19-2014 08:25 AM

Seavive and Seacure

My dog has allergies and spring is almost here. I want to get started on something before she starts getting miserable. I have read from many to use Seavive and Seacure. Are these products to be used together? How much do you give?

I have been hesitant to use it before because Tosca did not do well with Orijen 6 fish dog food years ago. We have been using krill oil, ACV, and spirulina over the winter, but the paw licking has returned so we need to try some thing else. I have sporadically been giving coconut oil but have been worried this will make her fat.

GatorBytes 02-19-2014 09:16 AM

Coconut oil will not make her fat. 1tsp/10lbs. of body weight.

SeaVive is SeaCure with the addition of bovine colostrum (combo product).

DHau 02-19-2014 10:02 AM

Obviously, I didn't understand that because I read that one is a companion product to the other giving me the impression that both are to be given. If I only need one, then how does one know which one to purchase?

TANDB 02-19-2014 02:46 PM

I believe Seacure is indicated for rapid healing of things like surgeries, digestive disorders, better nutritional absorption. Seavive is for all that plus allergies. I've just started using it (3 days ago) on my dog who has severe allergic-like problems that we've been battling for 2 years.

DHau 02-19-2014 03:10 PM

Have you noticed a difference ? Wishful thinking for you. Lol. I have been dealing with allergies for 7 years. Last year has been the worst due to all the rain we had.

Chip18 02-19-2014 03:48 PM

I've been using Coconut oil lately last couple of months, it's been working out ok so far. Rocky was an itchy dog also and the first year 2007 was the worst! Took him to the vet and he got a shot and that helped but every Sept it was the same thing,since 2007, itchy, itch to the Vet!

I started using Coconut oil on his skin and feeding it to him last month and so far so good! Have to see if he can make it pass Sept without a Vet trip?! :)

Heidigsd 02-19-2014 04:48 PM

DHau: Nikki is dealing with itchy paws right now too :( I am actually getting ready to shampoo them which always seems to help with some medicated shampoo.

I just wanted to tell you that we started her allergy drops two weeks ago and she loves them, so much better than the injections.
Heska - New ALLERCEPT® Allergy Therapy Drops for dogs, cats, and horses.

There is also a new allergy drug that just came out last month, it's called "Apoquel"
Blog | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1

DHau 02-19-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidigsd (Post 5050930)
DHau: Nikki is dealing with itchy paws right now too :( I am actually getting ready to shampoo them which always seems to help with some medicated shampoo.

I just wanted to tell you that we started her allergy drops two weeks ago and she loves them, so much better than the injections.
Heska - New ALLERCEPT® Allergy Therapy Drops for dogs, cats, and horses.

There is also a new allergy drug that just came out last month, it's called "Apoquel"
Blog | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1

I have been rinsing Tosca's feet every time she comes in from the yard. So far this has been working. I know she is allergic to certain plants and they have just started growing around here. Maybe shampooing the paws is the next step.:(
Every time she goes outside she starts sneezing. Are there face masks made for dogs? Lol. Whatever bothers her is definitely being inhaled. Probably mold in the dirt.

Please keep me informed how the drops work. Anything new is $$$ as well.

HankGSD 02-19-2014 08:20 PM

Seavive has worked extremely well for Hank who has year round environmental allergies. I first learned about the product at Because of Buddy, then did more research here. I started it on January 24 and saw results within 3 days.

We have been battling a bacterial skin infection since June that several rounds of antibiotics could not cure. The infection would come back within a week or two of stopping antibiotics including a 30 day course of Simplicef.

We had always done fish oil, so I added Nutiva coconut oil and apple cider vinegar to his diet. We began Zymox shampoo/leave on conditioner once a week. All of that helped but I think all of those are more preventatives or maintenance products than cures.

Within 3 days of starting Seavive, his rash began to dry up and I could feel scabs throughout his coat which was a good thing -- scabs mean healing. His appetite came back as well. Now, nearly a month later, his skin is continuing to heal. He still has his itchies and still takes an antihistamine. Seavive is not an antihistamine but I am hoping with continued use that it will boost his immune system or at least prevent further infections.

Hank is a lean 110 pounds (27 inches at the shoulder) and I am currently giving him 4 capsules per day, 2 at each meal. I was pilling him, but he was so excited about the smell that I now open 2 capsules and pour on top of his food and he loves the taste.

We also tried the immunotherapy sublingual drops and unfortunately that was a huge fail. He vomited repeatedly after dosing and his allergic symptoms were worse than ever.

DHau 02-19-2014 09:01 PM

I am glad to learn success stories about this product. It gives me hope that this may work.