German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Mega E in six month old? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/412850-mega-e-six-month-old.html)

SummerGSDLover 02-18-2014 04:12 PM

Mega E in six month old?

Do regular vets have the capability to diagnose mega E? My puppy has been hacking during eating then regurgitating his meal. It happens without warning, he doesn't have the vomiting sound, it's almost as though he swallows and then it just falls back out. He isnt loosing weight but I don't think this is normal either. I just want to do what's best so I'm making a vet appt for this week.
Is it possible to have some people with ME dogs to PM me some of what they first experienced with their dogs and the dogs age?
Thank you.

*-*Summer*-*

kr16 02-18-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 5044674)
Do regular vets have the capability to diagnose mega E? My puppy has been hacking during eating then regurgitating his meal. It happens without warning, he doesn't have the vomiting sound, it's almost as though he swallows and then it just falls back out. He isnt loosing weight but I don't think this is normal either. I just want to do what's best so I'm making a vet appt for this week.
Is it possible to have some people with ME dogs to PM me some of what they first experienced with their dogs and the dogs age?
Thank you.

*-*Summer*-*

Here is a great site for some info

The vet needs to do an Xray with no barium read this page

Megaesophagus

DTS 02-18-2014 06:42 PM

Sent you a pm :)

SummerGSDLover 02-18-2014 07:40 PM

Thank you both. I read the PM and will get back to you. :)

*-*Summer*-*

SummerGSDLover 02-18-2014 07:51 PM

The vet we use isn't very experienced with mega... Should I still make the appointment? Also, one person who pmd me said xray with barium, the other pm said without barium. What should I ask for if I have to ask (if the vet has no clue)?

*-*Summer*-*

kr16 02-18-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 5046154)
The vet we use isn't very experienced with mega... Should I still make the appointment? Also, one person who pmd me said xray with barium, the other pm said without barium. What should I ask for if I have to ask (if the vet has no clue)?

*-*Summer*-*

And this is why the internet is dangerous. Barium if it gets into the lungs can cause issues. if you read the link I sent it says not to use barium. Mega E shows up on a plan film most of the time. You start with no barium.

What happens is your vulnerability when this strikes. Be careful of the doom and gloomers who will tell you in capital letters you must. It can be very manageable in some dogs like mine. Certain precautions need to be met if it does indeed turn out to be Mega.

If megaesophagus is not obvious on plain films, it is better not to use contrast (Barium) studies if possible. This is because megaesophagus patients have the tendency to inhale or "aspirate" food contents that back up in their throats. This is dangerous enough when the material is simply food but if barium is present and becomes inhaled, the body has great difficulty removing it from the lungs. Still, sometimes this is the only way to see the megaesophagus.

SummerGSDLover 02-18-2014 08:08 PM

Thank you. Yah I haven't looked at the link yet. I will tonight.

*-*Summer*-*

kr16 02-18-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 5046202)
Thank you. Yah I haven't looked at the link yet. I will tonight.

*-*Summer*-*

How old is the pup?

When the pup runs around do you hear noises coming from the throat area?

SummerGSDLover 02-19-2014 04:34 AM

He was born 9/1/13 so about six months. He burps a lot and there are weird noises after he drinks water, almost like ... Bubbles? If that makes sense?

*-*Summer*-*

kr16 02-19-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 5047954)
He was born 9/1/13 so about six months. He burps a lot and there are weird noises after he drinks water, almost like ... Bubbles? If that makes sense?

*-*Summer*-*

yes, that makes sense. They get hiccups a lot as well. The good news is he is six months so he survived past weaning. The water is just sitting in the throat area. You will have to change a few things as to how he eats and drinks water. Buy some GasX the strips they get gassy also.

The Yahoo group is good. Just make a new email just for the site. It gets annoying the format is terrible. I tried to build a forum but they refused. Do not get caught up in the real sick dogs. Yours is not in that category.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/megaesophagus/files