German Shepherds Forum banner

Mega E in six month old?

5K views 57 replies 12 participants last post by  SummerGSDLover 
#1 ·
Do regular vets have the capability to diagnose mega E? My puppy has been hacking during eating then regurgitating his meal. It happens without warning, he doesn't have the vomiting sound, it's almost as though he swallows and then it just falls back out. He isnt loosing weight but I don't think this is normal either. I just want to do what's best so I'm making a vet appt for this week.
Is it possible to have some people with ME dogs to PM me some of what they first experienced with their dogs and the dogs age?
Thank you.

*-*Summer*-*

#40 ·
The vet just called back. He said all of the xrays, urinalysis, and bloodwork came back normal. They have no idea. Vet advised me just to prepare for the worst. He said even if I got insurance, it wouldn't work for a month and that we could potentially go through thousands of dollars and still not find anything.

I am devastated. I don't know what to do. He doesn't think it has anything to do with mega. He said whatever it is appears to be systemic and to just watch him. He said we will just treat the symptoms as they happen but that some dogs just have unfortunate things that baffle them and there's no treatment because they don't know what to do.
I don't care about the money but the vet and my husband agree that to spend thousands of dollars on a six month old puppy with no diagnoses would be out of line. This is the third vet. There have been four vets so far who have weighed in the same opinion. They all say the same thing. The two vets last night were ER doctors, one with the internal medicine specialty. The other two are with our regular DVM practice.

I am terrified I'm going to lose my baby. :cry:

*-*Summer*-*

#48 ·
The vet just called back. He said all of the xrays, urinalysis, and bloodwork came back normal. They have no idea. Vet advised me just to prepare for the worst. He said even if I got insurance, it wouldn't work for a month and that we could potentially go through thousands of dollars and still not find anything.

I don't care about the money but the vet and my husband agree that to spend thousands of dollars on a six month old puppy with no diagnoses would be out of line. This is the third vet. There have been four vets so far who have weighed in the same opinion. They all say the same thing. The two vets last night were ER doctors, one with the internal medicine specialty. The other two are with our regular DVM practice.

I am terrified I'm going to lose my baby. :cry:

*-*Summer*-*

OMG, Summer!

Please call the police and ask where they take their K9s. There has to be a good vet in your area who knows the breed.

This is totally unacceptable.

Totally.

Giardia should have been the first thing they checked for!:mad: For any dog with the runs, not only a GSD!

#50 ·
Sometimes it doesn't show up in the fecals, but still.

At least it's not something more serious, but I had a nightmare time with giardia too.

Clean EVERYTHING. The dog, bedding, toys water, bowls. Get a steam mop so you can sanitize your floors.

Poor guy, hope the meds get him back on track ASAP!

#52 ·
He's being treated. His energy level is back up. I am so upset. I have no faith in our vet(s) anymore. Giardia? REALLY?!! :mad:
He's perked up quite a bit and showing signs of the diaharrea letting up but still like mud pie. Still not drinking much water. He's just really chill. But then has periods of the zoomies and then exhausted afterward. I'm trying to keep him quiet but geez. He's a big puppy. Almost impossible. He is feeling better though because his facial expressions aren't like this anymore:

Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Dog Canidae

More like the happy puppy I'm used to.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

So that's good. He's been sleeping an awful lot though.
I called a different local vet and got some reviews on them off of a local Facebook group so we shall see.

*-*Summer*-*

#53 ·
I am so Thankful they have a treatment regiment that will help him.

I had some puppies that suffered this. We were put on a special canned science diet, a digestive supplement and anti-biotics. I also made the chicken broth/coconut milk jello to help with hydration.

And cleaned, cleaned and cleaned.
I should have had stock in paper towels. LOL.

I hope for a speedy and permanent recovery for you both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.