Doxycycline price increase by 20X! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Doxycycline price increase by 20X!

My GSD is having a flare-up of chronic tick illness and I'm paying $150 for just two weeks of doxycycline. I need to keep her on the drug several months and this price is ridiculous. I've looked on line and it seems like some legal mind has cornered the market on the drug precursor and is making huge profit. The drug used to cost me $4 a month as a generic at the local pharmacy.

Anyone with a dog with tick illness getting doxy more cheaply? I can make it happen, but $300 a month for a common antibiotic is a lot more than I can easily spend.

I looked on line and found I could get doxy at a sketchy looking international pharmacy (approved by Indian FDA- if there is such a thing). Everywhere else is either out of stock or priced just as high.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Fill it at a normal pharmacy like Kroger or Walmart. They fill pet prescriptions at a much cheaper rate than at the vet's office. I never obtain antibiotics or medicines directly from my vet - have always found it cheaper from the source. Get a prescription and fill it at whichever pharmacy gives you the cheapest deal.

150$ for two weeks worth of medicine that can be bought on Walmart's 4$ medication plan is crazy! Do not resort to sources outside the country - I would not trust them if I were you.

You can also get medicines from online sources like 1800petmeds and similar sites.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Try a compounding pharmacy.

My pup had to be on Doxy for 21 days last year for a tick related illness. I had to go to a compounding pharmacy to get it (liquid form) and almost crapped my pants at the price. My vet did warn me though. My vet also said that she understood the price increase and shortage was due to the manufacturer being wiped out by hurricane Sandy.

Hope your pup gets better!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes- I am getting it from the Kroger pharmacy for $150 (used to be $4), and talked to the pharmacist there quite a bit about the price jump- after research on line it looks like someone has just cornered the market. Dr. Foster and Smith said the same thing when I called to ask when they'd get doxy back in stock.

Are there compounding pharmacies on line that you can recommend?

I am also very wary of any sketchy international pharmacy- seems very risky.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try RiteAid and Walgreens too. Hundreds of dollars difference between Kmart and RiteAid.

The manufacturer is playing a game. This "shortage" has been going on for over a year.

You could ask about monocycline. (I think that's how it's spelled.) Some are subbing that for the doxy. And there are natural methods to kill off lyme's. Look up the article in The Townsend Letter.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Got curious myself and called a local (spokane wa) compounding pharmacy, they said the same in that it's been harder to come by, gave me a quote of $67 for 30-100mg? Tablets. What dosage do you give?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm giving 3/100mg tablets once a day. At the best rates I've found around here, that is about $3.30 a pill! The compounding pharmacy in Spokane is cheaper, at maybe $2.20 a pill? Still much more than it should be, but if this is long term it'll will save me $3 a day. I've tried doing on line research for better pricing, but haven't come up with anything yet. Forked over another $150 for a refill yesterday.

I'm seeing great improvement in my dog, so it is worth it to me, but it would be great to find a less expensive option.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe check local feed and farm supply stores too?
Kahrg4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can get your dog a Walgreen's prescription plan and pay $15 for 30 pills or $30 for 90.

http://www.walgreens.com/psc/pdf/VPG..._1-13-2014.pdf

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

The Doxy "shortage" is the bane of my existence. As best I can tell, the manufacturers are telling the FDA that the "shortage" is due to unusually high demand. I found a 10k SEC filing from one of the generic drug makers reporting record profits last year, due to Doxy prices. Draw your own conclusions.

We are dealing with this all.the.time in rescue in the Deep South, as a relatively high dose of Doxy for 30 days is part of heartworm treatment. I've spent many, many hours researching doxy prices. You will not find the $4 or $11 Doxy anywhere -- that era appears to be dead. You may be able to get it for a lot less than you are currently paying though, if you are diligent in chasing the best deals.

WAG dropped Doxycycline Hyclate (the kind that has the shortage) from their RX plan. It was on it a few months ago, but as of right now, the 100mg tabs are not. (I think 20mg might be but that's useless when a dog needs 300mg in a single dose.) The drug on the PDF Mikko linked to is different (Doxycyline Monohydrate)--I don't know what it is, but it's not what gets prescribed for my dogs. I don't know whether they can be substituted -- that's a question for a vet. RA still has Doxy Hycl. it on their plan, but the price isn't dirt cheap -- closer to $1 pill, if I remember correctly.

Here's what I've found:

1. Start with GoodRX.com -- you enter the name of the drug, and then on the right side of the page for that drug, you enter the quantity desired (e.g., 180 tablets of 100 mg). It will price it at many local pharmacies (including the big chains). It will also give you a link to a "coupon" to get the negotiated GoodRX price at several pharmacies -- which is less than you are likely paying now. I've used their coupons at CVS and WAG, and they do actually take them (it works!). (Don't bother checking Costco--they've consistently been higher than the prices I've found on Goodrx. Walmart is high too, but their pricing shows up on Goodrx).

2. Ask your vet about filling it through Roadrunner compounding pharmacy in Arizona, if they are able to serve your state (your vet has to deal with them -- Roadrunner won't deal with you directly). They are a big national compounding pharmacy that ships all over the country. A single month of Doxy has been running about $70 from them, from what I've been hearing locally. I also heard they recently had a "special" of 500 of the 100mg tabs for 0.30 each, which might work for you, given that you need to have your dog on this for months. If you need to buy several months worth for the tick treatment, maybe that's an option. Your vet has to call them to ask about that special though, and availability will depend on your state's pharmacy rules.

3. Try calling manycompounding pharmacies around your state. One of them told me that the cost of compounding is primarily the labor, so ordering a lot at once is cheaper per pill than ordering in small batches. If your vet will script it that way, you'll save money, since you need several months of this. I saw a huge, huge price variation among the local compounding pharmacies when I called them, so call some in other towns in your state too--they likely can ship it to you, if the price difference is big enough. The key is to ask your vet ask them to compound it in a form to make it easy to dose (e.g., in a 300mg tab since you are giving 3x100mg tabs once a day). They may even be able to flavor it for your dog in a wafer. Be sure you price apples-to-apples (e.g., ask them all about compounding the same form/dose) to get accurate price comparison data.

One of these options should help you get it for less than the retail pharmacy price you are currently paying. It's a hard, hard situation for those of us with pets who need high doses for an extended period of time though. Your vet will likely thank you for helping him or her find other cheaper options for clients!

Good luck! If you find other sources eventually, come back and share them!

Last edited by Magwart; 02-18-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.