Swollen paws, skin infection coming back - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Swollen paws, skin infection coming back

Hi all!
First post here. I've been lurking for a little while but now I'm hoping for a little insight on something I havent been able to find any answer on. (here or many google searches).

I have a 15 week old male pup. When we got him at 8 weeks, he was developing swollen pads, bumps in the ears and some small bumps around his paws. I took him to the vet for his first check up and to see what was going on. My vet said he had a skin infection and gave him a steroid shot and put him on amoxicillin. Vet didn't give him the vaccines he was up for because he thought it would be too much on his little immune system. By the time I took him back for his next visit. All the random bumps were gone and swelling in the paws was gone, he just had oozing/ bleeding sores that were working on healing. Vet said sores were the infections way of draining. Anyways, fast forward to this weekend, everything has been fine, infection seemed to be gone and paws were normal size and sores completely healed. Saturday I noticed his feet looking a little large and when I looked at his paw pads they were pretty swollen. And then Sunday they were even more swollen and he has a couple little blister like sores on his pads. I'm taking him back to the vet today to have him checked out but I was hoping for some advice from others with similar experiences or just some overall health advice.

I feel like he's been on antibiotics nearly the whole time we've had him and I dont think that can be good for him--like I'm afraid the drugs could stunt him. And he already seems small for his age to me. Could just be paranoia.

Anyways, I've ordered some probios to get him started bacause I'm all about boosting that immune system. Any advice besides 'just put him on antibiotics' would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by Contego; 02-17-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Contego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Our vet usually gives probiotics when our pets are on antibiotics, so that is a good start on your part. Our previous dog had swollen ears due to environmental allergies. Our current dog had red, swollen paws as a pup and it seemed like allergies also. We would try to keep them clean and dry and wash them with Hibiclens, its a cleanser you can buy at a drug store, its used in surgical prep. Just make sure you rinse and dry well after uses.

Most of the paw/skin issues resolved when we reduced kibble in her diet and gradually switched to a dehydrated raw type food.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

There are also grain free diets you may want to switch to for a start to see if grains are the issue.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I would ask for a referral to a vet dermatologist just to make sure you're approaching it correctly.

I'd want to rule out puppy strangles/juvenile cellulitis but it doesn't sound like the lymph nodes are swollen? I take a big long list of what about this to my vets and they patiently rule it out (most likely) or discuss the possibility of it being that. 01 Puppy Strangles - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company! So then I'd say what about the manges and then I'd say...

My wondering is are the paws and other areas related or 2 different things. That's why I'd want to see a good derm vet who sees this stuff all the time. ACVD - Locator

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/de...n shepherd.htm trying that link again: http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/dermatology/footpad disorder in the German shepherd.htm if that doesn't work google German Shepherd puppy footpad UPEI dog disease database and that will get you to it. Then you can google that disorder more after for hopefully more and more updated info.

Animals Paw & Nail Disorders | Pet Care Services - Animal Dermatology Clinic my GSD had the zinc responsive stuff - we just used Desitin and boots but I know of a couple of dogs who needed Zinc supplements (have to be careful and not just try it - can cause other serious issues if you do).

Let us know!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

He's already on grain free. I switched to that for our older dogs a while back and will never go back! They seem to be way happier, and more comfortable on it. So the new little man is on it from day 1. However, I don't think he was on that before I got him. I would think it would have been long enough. He gets a little bit of meat with his dry food. I alternate between meat and canned food. Will have to check the cans and make sure their completely grain free. He doesn't get much, like a spoonful with each meal.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Sorry to say that steroid's are a quick non-fix and amoxicillin was the same. Your dog in my opinion has an allergy and it's not being treated, it's being masked. The fact that it re-occured has proven your vet has failed to identify the cause. drplechner.com/

Not being critical, just my opinion and honesty..
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I would ask for a referral to a vet dermatologist just to make sure you're approaching it correctly.

I'd want to rule out puppy strangles/juvenile cellulitis but it doesn't sound like the lymph nodes are swollen? I take a big long list of what about this to my vets and they patiently rule it out (most likely) or discuss the possibility of it being that. 01 Puppy Strangles - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company! So then I'd say what about the manges and then I'd say...

My wondering is are the paws and other areas related or 2 different things. That's why I'd want to see a good derm vet who sees this stuff all the time. ACVD - Locator

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/de...n shepherd.htm trying that link again: http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/dermatology/footpad disorder in the German shepherd.htm if that doesn't work google German Shepherd puppy footpad UPEI dog disease database and that will get you to it. Then you can google that disorder more after for hopefully more and more updated info.

Animals Paw & Nail Disorders | Pet Care Services - Animal Dermatology Clinic my GSD had the zinc responsive stuff - we just used Desitin and boots but I know of a couple of dogs who needed Zinc supplements (have to be careful and not just try it - can cause other serious issues if you do).

Let us know!

Ok, I just read through all those options and I made some notes to ask the doc about. He's a fabulous vet and has always taken great care of all my babies so I totally trust his opinion. But I will ask about seeing a dermatologist--if he thinks it's necessary or whatnot.

I don't think it's strangles. There's no swelling other than his front paw pads. He doesn't have any bumps or swelling around his eyes or muzzle and just a couple of bumps on his ears. But his paws are hot..that's what makes me think the infection is back--I just don't know what kind! I'm just ready to have a perfectly healthy baby that is growing at a mind blowing speed and not worrying about his health and growth. Some times it sure would be nice if they could speak english.

Will definitely post an update after our visit to the vet today.

I'm going to ask the vet too, but does anyone here think it's possible that being on meds is/could stunt his growth. He's only 20lbs as of last thursday. And he's narrow.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg View Post
Sorry to say that steroid's are a quick non-fix and amoxicillin was the same. Your dog in my opinion has an allergy and it's not being treated, it's being masked. The fact that it re-occured has proven your vet has failed to identify the cause. drplechner.com/

Not being critical, just my opinion and honesty..
No not critical at all, I love my vet but he's only human and I've considered taking him to an older vet, that may be a little more old school. I honestly don't want to put him on and antibiotics any more. Or steroids. They aren't cheap. But I don't know what to do on my own besides probiotics. Suggestions?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

this is most distressing -- this is exactly what was at issue for this thread *new* skin problems

It isn't so much that some *new* disease has emerged , but some virulent , form which defies management .
It is not that some new disease has developed . What we are seeing is the beginning of drug resistant , virulent , types of skin problems , approaching the flesh eating disease severity.

anti biotics ???? speculation is that this is partly to blame --

the body is a mini - living universe , eco-system. We and dogs are hosts to mites, bacteria , and yeast and fungal spores . All kept in check by the integrity of the immune system . That is why digestion is so very important.
When a dog gets a vaccine as a pup , which is at a time when the immune system itself is maturing there is a challenge to the immune and depending on that dogs overall hardiness or not , may have a mild case of demodex , which will self correct , if the immune is strong , or devolve into a generalized mess .

Now what is being questioned and will become a study is to determine what the balance of a healthy dogs skin actually is .

When there is a dysbiosis , an upset to the bacterial flora , yeast and fungal malassezia can develop .

The problem is and the study questions how have mites evolved . Is there something within the terrain which allows one species or variety of mite , which previously, held in check, is allowed to flourish and gain hold , much the same as beneficial and harmful bacteria in the gut keep a homeostasis or balance.

All living things have a powerful drive to live and thrive -- insects , just look at cockroaches -- adapt and evolve, we have rat poison resistant rats, we have molds which have evolved, bacteria most definitely with so many super-bugs which are anti biotic resistant , mites, why not? and under study , the evolution of yeasts and fungi , (cancer and organ donor research already looking in to this) .

I would look into getting the best you can to build, restore that immune system . I would look into alternative practices. The dog just can not live on a long term anti biotic course. This is non selective . There will be no immune system left .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

and as my researcher friend said , chortling away , Big Pharma loves a problem that won't go away

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.