German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Sudden Pain/Panic Howling (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/412146-sudden-pain-panic-howling.html)

Anitsisqua 02-17-2014 05:47 AM

Sudden Pain/Panic Howling

Gable woke me up at 4:30, howling extremely loudly in his open crate, like he was panicked or in pain or something. Either way, it only lasted a few seconds, but he sounded distressed. As far as I can tell, totally unprovoked.

I checked him all over: pulse, gums, etc. and couldn't find anything abnormal. He settled down and drifted back to sleep, but I'm awake and still shaking.

He had a little diarrhea yesterday, but didn't act unusual or anything. It wasn't even very bad...just a little runny. Normal color and everything. He seemed completely himself and still had a good appetite and seemed in good spirits all day yesterday.

And he still wants to play with the cat and follow me around and chew on/play with his chew toy, so that's a good sign, right?

Is it possible that I could be really overthinking this and it was just a nightmare or something?That's what I'm praying for.

Thoughts, please? I'm an absolute mess.

jocoyn 02-17-2014 08:12 AM

Dogs DO dream. Maybe it was a nightmare. If it was a wire crate maybe his foot was caught for a second.

Twyla 02-17-2014 08:22 AM

The SE has been rather active the last few days with earthquakes. Woolf has the loudest, wake the dead type of howl when earthquakes occur. Is it possible your pup was reacting to something like that?

Anitsisqua 02-17-2014 08:30 AM

It IS a wire crate... and maybe to the earthquakes?

We moved from Texas a few months ago and we've never experienced earthquake activity before... And it was an extremely loud howling...

He slept after that episode, had his appetite this morning, was extremely excited to go outside (as usual), wanted to play actively with the cat, and urinated normally... It doesn't resolve my worries, but I'm hoping those are all good signs.

I would love to accept any of the above explanations (dreams, caught foot, or earthquake activity). I am afraid it was a seizure and was up very early scaring myself with articles about seizures and all the terrible things that cause them (kidney failure, liver failure, etc.). Going through everything that's happened in the last 24 hours (Did I feed him anything different?! Did I play too rough and hurt him?! Could that roughhousing have damaged one of his organs?!)

...I'm a bit of a worrywart when it comes to my boy. And by "a bit", I mean a lot.

Nigel 02-17-2014 11:28 AM

I'd bet it had to do with getting caught on the wire crate. Our beagle never let out a peep when having a seizure, the only sounds were her bumping/kicking into whatever was in the immediate area.

carmspack 02-17-2014 11:29 AM

he may have had a muscle spasm like a charley horse leg cramp

magnesium in the diet , if it recurs

pyratemom 02-17-2014 02:07 PM

I too think he just got his foot caught momentarily. Raina was running in the yard and ran into a railroad tie I use to keep the bottom of the fence down. She screamed and cried and I thought for sure she had broken something. She turned and looked at me with her foot held up in the air like she was telling me to do something to make it stop hurting. I called her over and she held the foot up in the air. So I had her lie down and checked out the whole foot and leg including the nails - nothing wrong. I rubbed her leg and foot and by that time she wasn't making a sound. I think she just scared herself and needed reassuring. She was fine after a couple minutes of babying.

Anitsisqua 02-17-2014 02:45 PM

That may be the case. When I heard him, I got to him as quickly as I could, and while I was holding him, feeling for anything unusual, and checking him over, he calmed down.

I'll feel better when I can get home this afternoon and see if he's all right with my own eyes, though. I hated leaving him this morning.

pyratemom 02-17-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anitsisqua (Post 5038314)
That may be the case. When I heard him, I got to him as quickly as I could, and while I was holding him, feeling for anything unusual, and checking him over, he calmed down.

I'll feel better when I can get home this afternoon and see if he's all right with my own eyes, though. I hated leaving him this morning.

I know it had to be hard to leave this morning without knowing for sure. I hope your baby is fine.

Anitsisqua 02-17-2014 07:13 PM

Unfortunately, this did not turn out to be me being paranoid again.

When I took him out this afternoon, he passed a lot of blood.