German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   My male GSD is 39.2 kg and under weight 20 months old (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/412130-my-male-gsd-39-2-kg-under-weight-20-months-old.html)

muso 02-17-2014 02:54 AM

My male GSD is 39.2 kg and under weight 20 months old
 
3 Attachment(s)
I took my dog to the vet to weigh him because I noticed I could see his ribs when he is running. He weighed in at 39.2 kg down from 41.1 kg a couple of months ago, could only see the last rib when he was 41.1 kg.

He is wormed (of course) and has about 600 grams of dry food (Supercoat) in the morning and about 800 grams of fresh beef or chicken wings or necks (usually a mix) I don't feed him much tinned food at all.

We have been exercising him more so I think I will bump his food quantity up to perhaps the usual 600 grams of dry food but increase to 1 kg of fresh meat.

I've attached some photos of him taken today. In the first photo he was stretching....it's not an exaggerated croup. I think he looks a bit under weight at present, he is 20 months old and has lost a lot of his black on his back....**** :(

muso 02-17-2014 03:09 AM

I bought him as a black and tan but he seems to have a black and tan head with a Sable body :)

The vet said that due to his large size he would be better off at 45 kg.....that's a big GSD.

muso 02-17-2014 04:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple of photos demonstrating his size taken with my 12 year old daughter and 14 year old son, he loves a big hug, he's a lovely boy :)

Castlemaid 02-17-2014 08:09 AM

In the pictures he looks to be in great shape. I woudn't be so concerned with his weight on a scale, and just go by body condition. You could increase his food a bit if you want, but seeing a few ribs on your GSD is fine. They are supposed to be lean and athletic dogs.

misslesleedavis1 02-17-2014 09:22 AM

He is a very good looking boy, he appears to be healthy and muscular.

Eiros 02-17-2014 10:32 AM

He looks good to me. The number isn't important, your dog should look healthy. I see ribs on my pup when he runs too, and he's very athletic, lean, and healthy. If your dog continues to lose and you'd like him to maintain, then you could increase the food a little or add some extra calories in other ways.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MaggieRoseLee 02-17-2014 10:45 AM

I think he looks good too.

But I know I DO adjust my dogs food during the year. Summer + more exercise so a bit more food. Winter + less exercise so I cut them back a bit. I LOOK at my dogs though more than the # when they are weighed.

shepherdmom 02-17-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muso (Post 5034866)
I took my dog to the vet to weigh him because I noticed I could see his ribs when he is running. He weighed in at 39.2 kg down from 41.1 kg a couple of months ago, could only see the last rib when he was 41.1 kg.

I don't know how much that is... Can anyone convert it to pounds? But from the pictures, he looks like he could gain a few pounds easily and still be fit. :)

LaRen616 02-17-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 5035394)
In the pictures he looks to be in great shape. I woudn't be so concerned with his weight on a scale, and just go by body condition. You could increase his food a bit if you want, but seeing a few ribs on your GSD is fine. They are supposed to be lean and athletic dogs.

I agree with Lucia. :)

LaRen616 02-17-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5036506)
I don't know how much that is... Can anyone convert it to pounds? But from the pictures, he looks like he could gain a few pounds easily and still be fit. :)

39.2 kg = 86 pounds

41.1 kg = 90 pounds


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2