Creating 'toughened' skin on amputation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Creating 'toughened' skin on amputation

I have a fairly recent adopted GSD who has a partial amputated rear leg. It is cut between the hock and the knee. Due to the positioning and condition of the amputation, it is not believed to be medical. The bone is pointed and the skin/tissue fused to the point. While I have been looking at prosthetic options for her, in the mean time I would like to help the skin at that point. Today was the first 'nice' day with snow and she was able to run and play for a fair bit. This has unfortunately caused the skin to bleed. Though high from the ground she does use the partial leg as a launching point and often weight bares on it while in motion. Aside from wrapping it in the short term, does anyone have any experience helping to create a callous or toughing the skin on an amputated leg? I should also mention, we have no idea how old this injury is. It was fully healed when she was picked up as a stray by the shelter. Thank you!
Briggs - APBT x RR
Faeron - GSD
Errol -Mutt
Teito - GSD
Pancake - GSD
Jasper - GSD
Lixx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She is one lucky gsd that you adopted her. I can't speak from experience, with an amputation, but I do use emu oil as a skin toughener. I don't know if musher's secret would work, but I would give a try. Actually, I think an old sock - even if it had to be taped would protect the area and she could still use to put her weight on.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

just a guess but how about a rubber cup like the thing
that goes on the end of a walking stick but larger or
something of the sort. is there something a human uses
that may fit?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you for the suggestions. These aren't the best pics of the leg, but you can see the expanse we're dealing with. The topicals may be the way to go. A 'cap' type idea would likely require a lot of straps/rigging to hold in place due to the location on the leg and how active she is. She'll spin right on that stump when wrestling. One of the things we discussed with looking at prosthetics. The amount of rigging, to hold and secure it, due to the shortness of her leg, plus the way it's fused at the end and creates a bad weight baring spot. Also will be harsh on her skin till she callouses up, though she at least has fur in the other areas to help. Still considering it, but then there's the cost involved too, and the big 'will she even use it' question. As her leg is almost too short to consider one, we can't surgically alter the 'bad' end as we'd loose even more precious length.

Will try the topicals, as well as bandage for how. Hopefully the skin will start to accept it's 'fate' so to speak!

Creating 'toughened' skin on amputation-pancake.jpg

Creating 'toughened' skin on amputation-pancake1.jpg

Creating 'toughened' skin on amputation-pancake2.jpg
Briggs - APBT x RR
Faeron - GSD
Errol -Mutt
Teito - GSD
Pancake - GSD
Jasper - GSD
Lixx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

a cap type idea doesn't cost much to try and a cap stays on the end
of a walking stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixx View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. These aren't the best pics of the leg, but you can see the expanse we're dealing with. The topicals may be the way to go.

>>>>> A 'cap' type idea would likely require a lot of straps/rigging to hold in place due to the location on the leg and how active she is.<<<<<

She'll spin right on that stump when wrestling. One of the things we discussed with looking at prosthetics. The amount of rigging, to hold and secure it, due to the shortness of her leg, plus the way it's fused at the end and creates a bad weight baring spot. Also will be harsh on her skin till she callouses up, though she at least has fur in the other areas to help. Still considering it, but then there's the cost involved too, and the big 'will she even use it' question. As her leg is almost too short to consider one, we can't surgically alter the 'bad' end as we'd loose even more precious length.

Will try the topicals, as well as bandage for how. Hopefully the skin will start to accept it's 'fate' so to speak!

Attachment 180354

Attachment 180362

Attachment 180370

Last edited by doggiedad; 02-15-2014 at 10:32 PM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Google "Well Horse" and see what you think. I used it for bed sores on my Boxer (DM) and I was pretty impressed now I use it on me and keep it on hand.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.