German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (
-   Health Issues (
-   -   Rat poison, need help! (

selzer 02-14-2014 10:51 PM

Rat poison, need help!
I need to know what the proper protocol is for a 57# year old pup that has injested up to 1 ounce of decon, rat poison.

Don't say get to the vet. I've been and I'm back.

I called the 24 hour clinic, and was going to go there, but it's two hours away, so I went to the clinic that is 40 minutes away -- Very different in what they said the one was going to do for the pup, and what the other did for the pup. :confused:

Loneforce 02-14-2014 10:57 PM

There is a 24 hour hot line on this site. Maybe they can help. If you are a Home Again member it is free., if not it might cost 60.00 Call 1 888 HOMEAGAIN (1 888 466 3242) and hit prompt 2 to speak with a licensed ASPCA veterinarian in a pet medical emergency.
For HomeAgain members who have the full service annual membership, there is no charge for use of the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline.
If your pet does not have a HomeAgain full service annual membership, you may be charged $60 for this call.

MissLilyBean 02-14-2014 10:58 PM

The vet book I have says that Dcon is a 1st gen anticoagulant, which means it's not as strong as some of the other stuff on the market. But it's sti a cause for concern.

The book says to induce vomiting if ingestion was recent. How long ago did this happen?

Sent from Free App

Lauri & The Gang 02-14-2014 11:00 PM

Rat poison is basically a very strong blood thinner. The dog will need Vitamin K therapy.

Lauri & The Gang 02-14-2014 11:02 PM

Forgot to add ...

My 25 lb Cocker Spaniel got into my suitcase and ingested a bottle of Warfarin (blood thinner) and anti-depressants. I found him right after the incident so I induced vomiting and called my vet. Took the dog in the next day for a Vitamin K shot.

Sunflowers 02-14-2014 11:06 PM

179 Attachment(s)
What actually happened?

gsdsar 02-14-2014 11:08 PM

234 Attachment(s)
The dog needs to be made to vomit, given activated charcoal, a Vit K shot and then a few weeks of oral Vit K.

Sent from Free App

MissLilyBean 02-14-2014 11:11 PM

selzer 02-14-2014 11:24 PM

The 24 hour clinic said they would run bloodwork and they would give vitamin K shot, they would induce vomiting, but they said I should go to the closer clinic.

The ER I went to did not induce vomiting, they did not run any bloodwork, they took her temperature 101.7, and they gave me oral vitamin K which they said to use up, keep her quiet for 3 weeks. And check with my vet to check to see how her blood is clotting in two weeks. Vitamin K should be given with a fatty meal -- she's out in the car with a naked cheeseburger laced with chewable vitamin K.

What actually happened?

Well, I went to take her mother somewhere and Karma scrambled over the 39 inch baby gate -- they are down a step so add about 6 inches to that, 45 inches. I was still in there, so I went and got the other baby gate and installed it above the 45 inch gate. So the bottom was about 47 inches from the ground on her side. I headed for the door and she opened the lower gate and reached the door before me.

I got her back in there, and tightened up the lower gate. And left.

I realized I forgot my cell phone, so about a mile down the road, I turned around and came back, and she was still in the area. Great! I defeated her. WRONG!!!!

3 hours later I came home, and from one end of my house to the other, there was evidence that someone was having the time of her life. She did not chew anything up, she just counter-surfed and found the rat poison. She pretty much spread it around. I have no idea how much she injested or exactly when. But I took what remained with me and they weighed a full packet -- I took the box too, and the partial and said 1 ounce was gone.

How do I keep her quiet for 3 weeks?!? This is the bitch whose toe I broke, and it didn't slow her down. She's not a spazz or anything but she moves, and she plays and she runs in and out. If I try to crate her for extended periods it will flip her out, and she will probably be even more active than if I just leave all as it was.

Blanketback 02-15-2014 12:43 PM

I hope Karma is ok! OMG, what a nightmare. How long was the package opened for? The reason I ask is because if you do have rodents coming in, and this was available to them, then they most likely took some of it for their food stashing piles. I hope so!!!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome