German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Really Hoping She Doesn't Have HD (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/411186-really-hoping-she-doesnt-have-hd.html)

MissLilyBean 02-14-2014 10:32 PM

Really Hoping She Doesn't Have HD

I just got a new GSD (as a rescue of sorts). She's probably about 4 months old. I'm making her an appointment on Monday for a quick checkup and shots. I'm thinking I might ask them to check for HD as well. Here's why:
  • She sits funny, usually with her legs to one side or underneath (instead of up against her body).
  • She won't jump on the bed or couch. Instead, she tries to pull herself up with her front legs.
  • Sometimes she seems to hold her rear legs closer together when she walks.
Other than all these things, she plays pretty well. She's very active and doesn't seem to be in any pain.

I might be overthinking it because I've already had to deal with HD in our Cocker, Sweet Pea. (None of those signs manifested in Sweet Pea. At least not that I noticed. It took her leg coming completely out of socket at 3am before we knew there was a problem - and x-rays confirmed it.)

I guess I'm just looking for y'all to ease my mind until it's time for the vet. Any takers? :-/

Eiros 02-14-2014 10:41 PM

You might be describing a cow hocked pup (legs close together in the back). Our pup is too, it can often improve with age, from what I hear.

Also, I'm not sure "sloppy sitting" as I call it, has anything to do with HD either. I've had my last two pups who sit this way often too.

I'm not an expert, but the dog I had with sever HD was dragging his legs while walking, struggling to get up, was "bunny hopping" and was in obvious pain. So maybe these things are all relatively normal? Just speaking from experience :) hope she's ok

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Loneforce 02-14-2014 10:44 PM

She just might not of developed yet in her rear legs. I think she is in her lanky stage, if I remember right. I wouldn't worry too much yet. It wont hurt to get the vet to check how she is developing though.

MissLilyBean 02-14-2014 10:46 PM

Well that makes me feel a little more at ease, Eiros. Thank you. I'm just really gunshy with this stuff after all we've been through with Sweet Pea. I suppose I freak out too much sometimes.

MissLilyBean 02-14-2014 10:49 PM

Loneforce - Yeah. There's a lot of unknowns about this pup and my never having a breed like this doesn't help. Haha! We'll certainly know more once we get her in. I'll have plenty of questions to drive them bonkers with.

Eiros 02-14-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLilyBean (Post 5023962)
Well that makes me feel a little more at ease, Eiros. Thank you. I'm just really gunshy with this stuff after all we've been through with Sweet Pea. I suppose I freak out too much sometimes.

Try not to worry, I know it's hard! I fret over my rescue pup too! Let us know what the bet thinks too :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MissLilyBean 02-14-2014 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=Eiros;5024074]Try not to worry, I know it's hard! I fret over my rescue pup too! Let us know what the bet thinks too :)

I certainly will!

Colie CVT 02-15-2014 12:16 AM

When I first got Doyle, I was nervous about how close his hocks were when he was standing and how angular his legs were. It was like they were just too long for his body. He's a month older than when I got him and he has certainly stretched out! His hocks rarely touch back there any longer, though he still sits kind of back on his rump with his legs splayed out.

I had a dog who had really severe HD (when she was a puppy, if she got frog legged she would yelp and struggle to get up) so I am fairly familiar with the signs. Thankfully this guy isn't showing similar signs to Kenai, but more to your puppy lol. They definitely have a gangly phase.

doggiedad 02-15-2014 09:24 AM

1 >>> a lot of dogs do sit lke that. my last dog sat like that
but his trainer didn't allow because they look better when they're gathered.

2 >>> she's probably not strong enough to jump on the bed or sofa
besides you don't want her jumping at 4 months old.

3 >>> don't know about holding her legs close together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLilyBean (Post 5023914)
I just got a new GSD (as a rescue of sorts). She's probably about 4 months old. I'm making her an appointment on Monday for a quick checkup and shots. I'm thinking I might ask them to check for HD as well. Here's why:
  • 1 >>> She sits funny, usually with her legs to one side or underneath (instead of up against her body).
  • 2 >>> She won't jump on the bed or couch. Instead, she tries to pull herself up with her front legs.
  • 3 >>> Sometimes she seems to hold her rear legs closer together when she walks.
Other than all these things, she plays pretty well. She's very active and doesn't seem to be in any pain.

I might be overthinking it because I've already had to deal with HD in our Cocker, Sweet Pea. (None of those signs manifested in Sweet Pea. At least not that I noticed. It took her leg coming completely out of socket at 3am before we knew there was a problem - and x-rays confirmed it.)

I guess I'm just looking for y'all to ease my mind until it's time for the vet. Any takers? :-/

CMorton 02-15-2014 09:57 AM

I agree with the above post :-)