German Shepherds Forum banner

Achilles injury

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
Anyone here ever have a dog with an achilles tear or injury?

Long story short, something happened while running around in the snow yesterday. Not sure exactly when it happened since there wasn't a yelp or any limping at the time of the injury. Pup came in and his entire hock down to his toes was swollen up.

Slept for a few hours and when he woke up, he was limping and wouldn't put much weight on it. That lasted for about an hour and the limping went away and it's like nothing's wrong except for the obviously swollen hock.

Just got back from the vet for an examination and x-rays. Definitely no broken bones. Tendons look to all be intact, but x-rays aren't as good as MRI's. The x-rays did show a lot of swelling in the hock area, but all major tendons were all intact, so it's definitely not a complete tear. Vet thinks (and hopes) it could just be a stretched tendon that's causes all this swelling.

Went home with some anti-inflammatories and strict crate rest for the next few weeks. Said if the swelling doesn't go down in the next 7 days to contact an orthopedic vet that they recommended for an MRI.

That's kind of where I am now. Very swollen hock, but no longer limping or showing signs of pain. Anyone ever have to deal with a similar injury? Am I missing anything here?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I've got him iced up pretty good right now. He's just sitting in his crate with ice bags wrapped around his hock.

Would the epsom salt and water work better then ice? It's not going to be easy to get him to sit still with his foot in a bucket of water.

Vet said ice for 24-48 hours and then heat after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.