conflicting Info from vet: coconut oil - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default conflicting Info from vet: coconut oil

So, I'm a bit frustrated with my vet of 17 years. I took Abby in 3 weeks ago and brought up the fact she was constantly itching herself. Vet said it was the flea collar, so I took it off as instructed.

I had a question about Abby's Prozac dose so I called and left a msg for the vet yesterday and the tech called me back today. When I mentioned to the Tech about the ongoing itching Abby still has, and that it is getting better thanks to coconut oil, I was told I should stop the coconut oil asap and just give Abby benadryl 4 times daily. I said huh..? They said coconut oil would cause yeast to spread. I said to the tech I thought it was sugar that fueled yeast to spread..they said nope, the coconut oil would cause the yeast infection bigger issues and I should bring her in for a skin scraping and steroid shots!

So, I'm a bit confused on what to think. I'm a bit shocked at how quick my Vet is wanting to treat things with steroids so quickly, and their opinion on the coconut oil.

Last note.. The vet did not catch the yeast infection, however I brought Abby to a groomer this last weekend and the groomer brought it up to me that she thought Abby has a yeast infection due to the redness on the chest, belly, and other areas on her..the groomer seemed pretty knowledgeable and said the coconut oil would do amazing things over the weeks for Abby... so I went away feeling I was doing the right thing.

Baron: "The Bear" 8/2002 to 10/2013

Abby: Rescued on 1/2014
4paws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

sometimes people learn things a certain way and nothing else but that way will ever make sense to them. I know I'd feel a **** of a lot better about giving my dog coconut oil than steroid shots.

BTW, I have never come across anything that said coconut oil in the diet will "promote" candida growth in man or beast.

I'd ask for the literature and a very good explanation before I stopped something like coconut oil in favor of skin scrapes and steroids. Well if it was me, I wouldn't ever go back really. They wouldn't get a 2nd chance with me.
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Zoey is an "allergy dog". We fought rashes, itching, etc... We used steroids for a few months, they worked, but not a long term solution. We moved to cyclosporine, it worked, but she started blowing her coat constantly, its expensive, and again not a long term solution. Now we use coconut oil and a diet change to NV turkey lid mixed with "some" raw and very rarely does she have any problems, I think the CO is a major reason for this.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

And that is another thing..the diet. I put Abby on Core to get her off the grains to start with and that I would be feeding RAW real soon. Vet said that is the worst thing I could do for her and she see's so many cases of ecoli (sp ?) from folks taking that approach. I guess I'm a bit lost why my vet seems so different then what I thought I knew her to be from years past.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The vet tech was giving medical advice? Did you actually speak to your vet about this?

And pretty much all vets hate raw diets. I think it's something they're taught in vet school. Kidding... kind of.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
The vet tech was giving medical advice? Did you actually speak to your vet about this?

And pretty much all vets hate raw diets. I think it's something they're taught in vet school. Kidding... kind of.
The Vet was in the background over hearing our convo and giving the Tech advice.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Did you ask where they got that information regarding coconut oil? Coconut oil will not cause yeast to grow... it is also a far superior method of treatment to daily benadryl. :/

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Ask the vet if they think that stuff they sell called prescription food is good for dogs or any animals. I blasted my vet last week for trying to sell me royal canine hypo allergic kibble. Not much food in that ingredient list. I made him read the package.

Amazing something can be sold as a prescription without one active ingredient.

Not sure some vets even bother to learn about proper nutrition and supplements.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Here is a blog post I wrote about coconut oil - I am going to side with your groomer here. I would also get some good literature to bring in to your vets office!

Ironhide Kennels: Spice of Life: Coconut Oil
N Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

This thread has a LOT of excellent suggestions for yeast/itching etc Full body yeast infection

As for the negative on coconut oil from the vet, never heard of co being a cause of yeast. My vet and I battle over food at times but she loves the fact that I do the co, fish oil and so on.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.