German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Skin rash - is it scabies? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/410026-skin-rash-scabies.html)

eliyah 02-12-2014 03:01 AM

Skin rash - is it scabies?

3 Attachment(s)
Hiya,

Jack, now almost 8 mo, is having this weird redness (for 2 days) on his skin i.e. around the groin area and inside of ears... in fact in his ears there are two purple circles at the middle that become red towards the outside - when I first noticed, they were red. I've attached the photos. I don't think it's scabies, or is it? What can I do to cure it, please?

Look forward to your kind help.

Sincerely,
Ali.

eliyah 02-12-2014 03:02 AM

My friend said I should apply scabies lotion after giving him a bath with warm water... but I want to be sure before trying anything

SummerGSDLover 02-12-2014 03:48 AM

Could it be an allergic reaction or a yeast infection? Id take him to the vet before trying to treat something when you don't know what it is. More than likely you'd have scabies also...

*-*Summer*-*

Doogles 02-12-2014 07:52 AM

Hope this helps good luck. Mange in Dogs - Symptoms and Treatment - YouTube

Sp00ks 02-12-2014 08:30 AM

Ugh, Scabies. Take him to the vet. Can't know for sure until then. Summer is absolutely correct.

My kids got scabies from school once. OMG that was brutal to get rid of. The washing machine ran non stop for weeks. Dr. visits, etc.

e.rigby 02-12-2014 10:09 AM

Looks like pyroderma, a vet will probably prescribe antibiotics, however, the condition is self limiting. You can clean it yourself with benzoyl peroxide wipes and then put a triple antibiotic on it. Keep the area clean and dry. Murdock has gotten it a few times, and his last flare up is on the mend. Tends to happen in young dogs (he's currently 8 months old)

eliyah 02-17-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e.rigby (Post 5009554)
Looks like pyroderma, a vet will probably prescribe antibiotics, however, the condition is self limiting. You can clean it yourself with benzoyl peroxide wipes and then put a triple antibiotic on it. Keep the area clean and dry. Murdock has gotten it a few times, and his last flare up is on the mend. Tends to happen in young dogs (he's currently 8 months old)

Thanks, yup it was Pyrodermia and after applying tropical antibacterial Jackie is feeling much batter and the skin is quickly returning to its normal color. Thanks again :)

carmspack 02-17-2014 01:09 PM

well pyroderma is a staph bacteria normally found on the skin -- which when the immune system is comprised is allowed to gain hold .

Vetericyn is very effective . I would strengthen the dogs immune system in addition to treating the symptom.

Help! My Dog Has Canine Pyoderma! Expert Answers to FAQs About Dog Health Problems

Vetericyn - Wound and Infection Treatment - Broad Spectrum Antimicrobial