German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Excessive urination in six month male (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/408650-excessive-urination-six-month-male.html)

binea 02-09-2014 06:50 AM

Excessive urination in six month male

Just rescued a six month male GSD from pound. He was an owner surrender but no reason given. Part of adoption process is mandatory neuter which was done 3 days ago on the day we brought him home. He has even learned his new name, Deacon and will respond to it immediately. Very smart. Deacon is very good and gets along well with my eleven year old Beagle-daschaund mix, Molly. We lost our eleven year old GSD, Mac, a month ago and Molly is glad to have a new friend. So no issues with Deacon and her.

He is learning commands and responding well to his new home. We are keeping him in 8 by 10 garage with Molly. He does spend several hours outdoors for play and exercise time.

Our problem is that Deacon has to urinate every hour or so. We remove water at 8pm and he is still peeing every hour or so. He goes on the puppy pad or outside if we can get to him in time. Tried crating him and he still peed after an hour and was completely embarrassed by his accident.

Even after falling into a deep sleep during the night, he has to get up to relieve himself. Last night, he went outside every two hours but still had to use the puppy pads in between and filled them up. When he is outside, he still had a strong flow and peed for about 15 to 20 seconds. Wondering if this is behavior issue or medical. Driving myself nuts waiting on vet to open Monday so any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

doggiedad 02-09-2014 07:03 AM

going to the Vet is your best choice. i don't
think online diagnoses will help.

why do you keep your dogs in a crate in the garage?

binea 02-09-2014 07:18 AM

I do not crate them. I tried crating one time to see if Deacon could hold his urine. My dogs have a full twin pillow top mattress that they enjoy. No accidents as long as puppy pad is down or he taken outside every hour or hour and half.

Momto2GSDs 02-09-2014 07:23 AM

Yep, vet check is in order.
Could be a urinary track infection or could be due to the neutering. Take a morning catch urine sample the day you are going to the vet.
Moms:)

doggiedad 02-09-2014 08:31 AM

you don't crate them but why are your dogs kept
in a 8x10 garage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by binea (Post 4991402)

I do not crate them.

I tried crating one time to see if Deacon could hold his urine. My dogs have a full twin pillow top mattress that they enjoy. No accidents as long as puppy pad is down or he taken outside every hour or hour and half.

BowWowMeow 02-09-2014 12:55 PM

This should be moved to the Health section.

In addition to checking for a UTI, I would have bloodwork done to check his kidneys. This is definitely not normal.

binea 02-09-2014 01:54 PM

How do I move it to Health?

Castlemaid 02-09-2014 01:57 PM

Moved to heath!

I agree with the others, sounds like possible UTI. I'd have the vet check it out.

binea 02-09-2014 04:28 PM

They are kept in a single car garage that is all the theirs and is attached to the kitchen with the door left open. Not sure why this is so important and why so much judgement. They spend several hours a day outdoors when the weather permits and the garage is their den. Thanks for the suggestions.

Shade 02-09-2014 05:00 PM

I agree a vet check is in order, hopefully it's something simple like a UTI