German Shepherds Forum banner

Feeding cooked chicken bones for 1 year

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Thesilentone 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been feeding cooked chicken bones+ chicken flesh to my german shepherd for 1 year now since he was a puppy, now here is almost 2 years old.

Recently i got to know that cooked bones are not good for dogs. So i will stop feeding them to him now.

Do you guys think he has anything damaged internally? he behaves fine most of the time, like he is always active and excited. Never seemed to be sick,

any suggestions on what to do ..

thanks.

#2 ·
Hey Kevin,

The danger of cooked chicken bones is internal perforation - if he is well, then you have been lucky. I used to feed cooked chicken bones to my first dog also, many years ago, not thinking anything about it. He was fine, but as soon as I learned how dangerous cooked chicken bones are (or any cooked bone), I stopped. Just not worth the risk.

You can, however, feed raw chicken bones - they are quite soft and dogs can digest raw bones, but not cooked bones. I feed my dogs a raw diet, raw chicken bones and all, and they are doing just fine.

#4 ·
Very glad this topic came up. I have NEVER fed my dogs cooked chicken bones but my 10 yo daughter threw two drumstick bones in the garbage 2 days ago and forgot to lock the lid-and quick as a wink Brutus chomped them down and I was pretty worried about him so its good to know that he will probably be ok from this isolated incident.

#5 ·
Giving your dog cooked bones is like giving them a sharp stick to chew on. They are very brittle when they are cooked and can shard very easily, not safe at all. I've even heard of dogs swallowing bones whole before and having to get them surgically removed because of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.