German Shepherds Forum banner

Umbilical Hernia

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  3GSD92_00_12 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I am hoping for some advice. We have a 17 week old female GSD and it seems on her belly button a small umbilical hernia has developed. Its about the size of a large grape/cherry tomato. It doesn't seem to bother her at all even when we have touched it. She isn't scratching at it or licking - I don't even think she knows its there! I am pretty sure its only developed into that size in the last day or 2 as its easily noticeable when rubbing her belly.

Any advice or insight from people who have had GSDs with this before?

#2 ·
I had a female GSD and a male Aussie with umbilical hernias by 8 weeks old. Both were fixed at spay/neuter at 6 months no problems before or after. This was some time ago (12 + years) but in both cases, the vets did not seem particularly concerned.

#4 ·
My 17 month old intact male has a hernia, I don't believe in neutering/spaying at 6 months so I just plan to have it fixed whenever he's neutered. That said there is a risk that the intestine can drop down through it so I'd definitely have a vet look at it just to be safe but I think the risk is small.

#5 ·
It is too early for her to go under general anaesthesia, wait untill she is three months old. It seems enlarged only because your puppy grows and the skin stretches. And, yes, if you plan to neuter her, you can wait untill much later. In fact, unless it is really severe, they can jump fences, give birth and live altother absolutely happily with it. But, because it doesn't have any fur protection - it is potentially exposed to any scratches by twigs, and subsequently to skin infections. Don't try applying any sticky patches or anything of the sort onto that spot. Just mark planned operation in your calendar and don't worry much.

#6 ·
I've had females with umbilical hernias. We just had it repaired when they were under for their spay surgeries.

#7 ·
Thanks for all your help everyone. Really appreciate it. I think I will take her to the vet on Saturday ( due a vet trip round about now anyway) just to get it looked at but hopefully will just be something that can be fixed when speyed

#9 ·
Gypsy had one when she was a puppy. The hernia was luckily just fat tissue and the vet removed it while she was still under after being spayed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.