German Shepherds Forum banner

Seizures in young dog

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  shepherdmom 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
If you all could give me some advise I would really appreciate it.

I have a one year old male GSD and since sunday evening he has had 7 grand mall seizures. They just started out of the blue, he was sound asleep sunday evening and it suddenly started. There have been no real changes to his diet or program.
He was able to sleep through the night seizure free but this morning he is acting like he does not recognize me. I have two small children that just love him but I do not have peace with keeping him in the house because he is acting so strangely.
I am thinking of putting him in our outside kennel and waiting to see what will happen. I am in Africa and there is no vet around to take him to.

Will you guys please advise me on what to do because I am at a loss and feeling desperate. This dog is like a member of the family!

P.S. I got him to eat some ground meat, some eggs and some milk, he is showing no interest in dog food since yesterday morning.

#2 ·
There is very little advice to give, if you cannot go to a vet.

He is very young yo start epileptic seizures, though not in heard of.

A veterinarian will be able to tell if it's poisoning, liver problems, epilepsy. The best you can do, until you get to a Vet, is keep him comfortable, warm and safe.

Good luck to you and your pup.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
7 seizures since Sunday is pretty bad... After that many it's possible there's been brain damage or he is still not out of the post ictal phase they can be out of it for days. I don't have much advice if you can't go to the vet it doesn't sound good. Is there a room inside you could keep him in that doesn't have much furniture or stuff in it to bump into? I would worry about the kids though cause it is possible for dogs to forget people and things like being housebroken after seizures.

After he has a seizure you could give him a spoonful of plain vanilla bean ice cream or honey to get his blood sugar up, and someone told me boiled chicken and rice is good for dogs with upset tummies :)

#4 ·
How far away is the vet? Is it possible he got into something poisonous? There is no way to stop the seizures without getting him medication...and figuring out why he's seizing.

I agree that a room inside would be the safest place for him.

#5 ·
Thanks for responding,
We actually found a "vet" here and have taken him just now....boy do I regret it, it was like out of a horror show or something...it has been a long time since I have seen such a filthy place. Not to mention that the "vet" was completely clueless.

We have moved him out into the outdoor kennel. It is a large kennel that is also covered, he will be most comfortable there and the kids will not mess with him.

He had another seizure this morning, that is 8 grand mall seizures since Sunday evening.

His health is declining very rapidly, at this point I do not expect him to survive but I will write back and let everyone know one way or the other.

#7 ·
I'm sorry to hear that I agree just make him as comfortable as you can and I hope you can all stat with him so he's not alone when he goes.......

#8 ·
There is medication to treat epileptic seizures. Others can give you the specifics. If your vet can prescribe, I'd go back and ask for a prescription. Often you have to adjust the level of medication necessary to keep him seizure free. At a minimum, I'd do that much.

Make sure your dog is not near water source that he/she might fall into. I don't mean a bowl, but a pond or even a kiddie pool....

Again, try meds at a minimum.

#9 ·
He needs blood work to get a better idea of what is going on. Is the outdoor enclosure somewhere that he will not harm himself during an episode? He needs a soft surface and not to be able to hurt himself on anything. I'd find a better vet asap, and if you can't afford the vet care than in my opinion it is more humane to euthanize than to leave him outside alone to die (if his health is as bad as you imply).

#10 ·
did he get into a toxin?
xylitol can crash blood sugar and put them into seizures
and a diabetic coma
try giving honey as others suggested
stick in mouth and let drizzle down
be careful near the mouth if he's seizing

ps. phenobarbitol would be best for seizures if you can get it
even valium

#11 ·
dcg9381-Please read my posts.
Shaina- There is no better vet, this is a third world country, the only vet around (the one we took him to) had a filthy, run down office-they have no tools or equipment, they took his temperature with an old mercury thermometer that they then gave a quick wipe on a piece of paper and put it away...would you take your dogs to such a vet? This is a beloved family pet that is like a member of our family. I repeat there is no other vet around.

My dog is still alive, he is stretched out on the floor of the kennel, he is breathing heavy and he is non responsive. he can open his eyes for short periods and I have not seen him stand since yesterday late afternoon.

My question is this; is there any chance that he will recover or should we put him down? I know that there are a many people on this forum that have seen a lot and I appreciate your advise.

#12 ·
So sorry!

I'm an ER nurse, and it sounds like your guy has more than seizure disorder, since he has never recovered fully after a seizure. He may have some metabolic disorder like diabetes, or more ominously a brain disorder including possible tumor or stroke. I am really sorry to have to tell you this especially since you have no vet services available. We went though it with two of our dogs, and it was very difficult. If the guy is unresponsive, chances are he is not feeling any pain, so there is that, though it won't make you feel any better now. I kept two of mine home at end of life, because they were unresponsive and I felt they'd feel better lying in their kennel with the other dogs and us around them. Who really knows, but they did not seem bothered by any pain. I am sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.