German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Stomach Ache? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/406018-stomach-ache.html)

Hessa 02-03-2014 04:14 PM

Stomach Ache?

Took my puppy to my parents super bowl party last night to socialize her with people. It's the most people she's dealt with at one time. She seemed to do great till the very end she woke up from a nap crying took her outside to use the bathroom she went but continued crying for a few minutes. The crying stopped be she just looked drained. I felt like something wasn't right but was hoping it was just exhaustion. We brought her home and went to bed. Woke up this morning and she was her old self again running around attacking my ankles and all that fun stuff. Then I noticed she threw up in her crate in 3 different spots while we were sleeping. I clean it up and notice my little girl isn't active anymore. After an hour passes and she's still laying down looking like she has no energy I know this isn't my puppy. Couple hours later she's up running around again like she's okay, and now she's back to the all I wanna do is lay here state.

Things to note:
My parents own 3 dogs, but she's been there before at least 5-6 other times, and they don't leave the house so I'm not thinking it's diseased related.

she probably had way too many carrots last night from people wanting to play with her and what not.

I found her with a chicken wing bone. I got to her before she completely finished it but I'm sure she got some in. It went down fine no choking or coughing of any sort (I hear problems with cooked chicken bone is ingesting it but not so much digesting)

Lastly today she drinks water but has no interest in food. She's pooped once from what I've seen and it was firm. Hasn't thrown up at all.

I know I should have kept a closer on her at the party but she was looking perfectly fine up until those last 30 min of an 11 hour day. So I thought nothing of it sadly.

So could this just be a simple stomach ache? Maybe stress related? Idk I've looked up bloat doesn't seem to have any systems, but with this no eating thing how long until it becomes an issue? I don't want to prematurely take her into the vet, I know when I have stomach ache last thing I want is food. So idk if it's normal or not. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Lilie 02-03-2014 04:18 PM

I'd be worried about the cooked chicken bone. I'd call my vet and tell them exactly what you told us and they'll tell you what to watch for or if they think the pup needs to be seen.

Cooked chicken bones splinter. Splintered bones can cause major damage internally.

Harry and Lola 02-03-2014 04:28 PM

If you caught her with a cooked chicken bone, you don't know if she got to any of the other food - to me it sounds like she did and ate something that is giving her problems now.

Agree, with Lilie call your vet and describe the symptoms, they will probably advise you to come in and because she is so young that may not be a bad idea. Best to be cautious than not.

Good luck and I hope her tummy pains settle down soon

Mishka&Milo 02-03-2014 04:28 PM

Definitely go to the vet right away! A agree that I would be very concerned about the chicken bone. Vomiting and not being their usual selves are reasons to take my babies to the vet.... Better safe than sorry. Keep us updated!

Hessa 02-04-2014 12:09 PM

Update:
So after looking up what to look for when a chicken bone is ingested. We decided that we were gonna wait and see if things change over night as we didn't feel like she was in pain. At about 3pm still wouldn't eat so I decided to give her Pedialite with her water. Between 5-6 she started eating again went to the bathroom (smelled horrible).
She ended up eating and using the bathroom twice last, and was being more herself, and hasn't changed since Today she's doing great running, jumping, eating, etc..
So as of right now it looks as if we're in the clear, but I'll keep a close eye for the next day or so and continue to check stools for any signs.

Thanks for the help guys.

Harry and Lola 02-05-2014 04:08 PM

What is Pedialite?

Sounds like she definitely ate something that didn't agree with her, hopefully it has been digested and all will be good, it really pays to watch your dog in situations like yours, you just never know what they can reach and some people have no idea about what to feed and what not to feed a dog.