German Shepherds Forum banner

Steroids and sleep?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  gsdlover91 
#1 ·
Because of Sabos back/hip issue earlier this week he's on steroids and is completely uninterested in play. Could it be the steroids?

Could he be depressed?

Kia trys to engage him in play, but he won't entertain her for long.

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now

#4 ·
Pred can effect normal behavior in dogs. The most common thing I have seen is a drastic increase in water intake and thirst, which sometimes creates possessive guarding of the water bowl.

I have had several dogs on pred, and they do act a little different. He's also dealing with his back and hip.

David Winners

#5 ·
Yes, steroids can affect a dogs behavior. Some will get aggressive and restless. Some you only notice increased drinking and urination. Aggressive behavior can be enhanced as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
Steroids made me and my dog aggressive. I had to stop taking them after 2 days, I felt a need to road rage. My dog did get aggressive to other dogs, so I'm glad you are not having that side effect. He could just not be feeling like himself.

Molly has had the same issues as Sabo, but we received Rimadyl instead. She's able to tolerate it for a few days, then gets stomach upset. But a lot of things give her stomach upset. See if you can change meds? Could Sabo still be feeling sore?

You also asked about sleep - prednisone gave me terrible insomnia. Maybe he is not sleeping and feeling very tired after a week on it.

#9 ·
Prednisone definitely affects their behavior. When both my puppies were on it, they were lethargic, didnt want to play, had to pee a lot..

It also suppresses the immune system so he can get sick easier, and wounds will take longer to heal.

Just curious, how long did they put him on it for? It's not a drug you want your dog to be on for a while, especially a young dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.