German Shepherds Forum banner

Medical Marijuana Threatens Pet Health

4K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Gretchen 
#1 ·
An article sent to me from our vet practice. Sorry but this really upsets me. Everyone thinks it is harmless, and I used to be a live and let live kind of person, but ever since the medical marijuana prescription business opened next to our business, it has definitely been a negative impact.

Here's the article:
PetsMatter | Medical marijuana threatens pet health

#2 ·
YEAH for propaganda :)

and why is marijuana more dangerous to dogs than say, ambien? Crestor? Zanex? oxycodone? or any number of the astonishingly large numbers of drugs your average american has laying around their home?

I really love the last line
"Be aware that it might not be your animal but someone else's," Green said.
Seems to be the popular theme these days. It helps get everyone else involved in everyone else's business. Gives neighbors a "legitimate" reason to try and be a part of decisions that aren't there's to make. Get vaccinated, because it's not just you that's in danger, but all your friends and neighbors. ABC just had their special on Guns, and how your neighbors are a danger to your kids and now medical marijuana users are a threat to everyone else's pets :)

#4 ·
I wonder how many had an issue period other than the owner saying they had eaten Marijuana and they were "stoned" for a small period of time and they didn't know what to do?

Many animals have been given very large quantities of THC and serious reactions or life threatening side effects are pretty much non-existent. it wears off and they go about their business. Better have a public outcry :)

#13 ·
do you have that CO study? I'd love to see how they arrived at their conclusions. What was the control group, what percent of dogs die in a 6 year period in a normal population? I'd bet 2% wasn't even statistically significant from any control, if there was one. But I'll hold off on final judgement till I see the actual study, not news channels interpretation of one.

I see they also said a lot of it was mixed with other foods like chocolate, I wonder how that contributed to the symptoms of "marijuana toxicity" I wonder what other foods were in there as well?

and using the story of a dog that has eaten everything from "chicken bones" to "Glass ornaments" and we're supposed to believe that marijuana is the problem? sounds like the owner has a death wish for her dog :)

#14 ·
I don't have it.

People just need to keep their stuff up. And if you are imbibing any substance that makes you foggy - turkey, pot, booze, pills, chocolate, put everything up ahead of time.

Don't let the dog indulge in any way. They like children, some disabled, do not have a choice therefore you don't give it to them unless you are a jerk.

There are regular old over the counter meds here in my house that are poisonous - deadly poisonous - if ingested. They are put up, but I still worry. If NY was a legal state and I had pot here, it would be put up just like everything else.

#15 ·
It said more than 20% of the mj had been combined with chololate. Perhaps between the two of them, but ...... certainly ......just don't let the dogs get to it you use it.

Not a legal state here. Wish it was for my mother's sake (hospice care). We are VERY careful as she has a lot of drugs which could be lethal.

#16 ·
I would almost think that the same affects a cat gets from cat nip would be something like a dog with this stuff??? I don't really think its an issue anyway, well one that can't be resolved by putting the stuff out of reach, just like one would do if they had kids. Is there a report that more kids of parents that have prescriptions are going to school stoned because its legal now?

#17 ·
When my pit was undergoing chemo, I asked the vet if she would derive any benefit from marijuana--like increased appetite or pain relief. The answer was emphatically "No."
It's not like catnip and cats. Dogs get confused, lethargic and groggy.

They have had to retrain the drug dogs here to not alert to marijuana. What a weird world.

#18 ·
I suffer from migraines and take a "cocktail" of prescription and OTC pills. Part of it is a huge dose of ibuprofen. I've always been insanely careful with my ibuprofen. I know how dangerous it is for dogs and yet it's probably one of the most common OTC pills, you can find it in almost any household. People need to be careful with ANY drug (heck, even common house plants, cleaners.....) when it comes to dogs.

#20 ·
Possession is legal here--except for minors- and there are better uses of resources, I guess. I am sure the black market will continue but with store front sales coming soon it will be hard to discern what is legal/illegal.

The nice thing from a dog's health perspective is that if a dog does ingest marijuana, you can straight up tell the vet without fear of repercussions. I think the original article alludes to the notion that people are now more likely to report marijuana toxicity. I'm not a user myself--I'm already odd enough--but I appreciated that I could ask my dog's cancer vet about marijuana without stigma.

It's very odd when I watch "Cops" and see someone getting arrested for pot possession.

#21 ·
Was the study "organically grown" or hydro laced w/chemicals?

MJ has properties that control pain, alleviate nausea and may even have anti-cancer properties. Prozac is toxic, Xanax...what is wrong with a *little* "irie mon"?

#22 ·
I hope that people exercise the same common sense that they would with any substance that can be harmful to their animals. My drug of choice is dark chocolate and I don't leave that out even though Rafi has never got into anything.

My brother manages a (legal) marijuana farm in California. His dog lives there with him and is doing just fine. :) The owners have 4 dogs and the neighbors have 4 dogs and none of the dogs are eating the crops!

#26 ·
I think this is a non-issue. I live in California. When my dog had cancer I gave her lab-tested CBD marajuana oil to help stimulate appetite and control pain. This would never have been possible without legal medical marijuana. I can say this aided my dog's comfort and ability to extend her
life. The vet also approved the therepy. I'm sure with greater research much more can be acheived to help animals and humans.

#27 ·
I truly think the issue is people need to be more freaking careful about things period. It's like dogs getting into chocolate at certain holidays (which Christmas this year was actually worse than Halloween at the ER clinic I work at). If you have something that is yours that's potentially toxic to your pets, don't let them get near it. Keep it safely out of reach and locked up.

Legally, vet clinics can't really do anything even if you have an illegal substance. I can't tell you how many dogs we have seen that test positive for meth. We actually keep urine drug test kits around and often end up using them. I still remember that poor little chihuahua who had gotten into her owner's meth. Just a little puppy and she couldn't stop twitching. Even with huge doses of diazepam (and I mean HUGE) to try and counteract how hyper everything was, she was still tweeking like nothing else. Her body was so hot too. Only way to keep her still was to hold her, but holding her didn't help with cooling her. :/

We've seen a few pot dogs also. Not any that died however. I'd be more worried with those that get into chocolate, meth or medications. x.x

#30 ·
Legally, vet clinics can't really do anything even if you have an illegal substance. I can't tell you how many dogs we have seen that test positive for meth. We actually keep urine drug test kits around and often end up using them. I still remember that poor little chihuahua who had gotten into her owner's meth. Just a little puppy and she couldn't stop twitching. Even with huge doses of diazepam (and I mean HUGE) to try and counteract how hyper everything was, she was still tweeking like nothing else. Her body was so hot too. Only way to keep her still was to hold her, but holding her didn't help with cooling her. :/
Good lord. If this happens more than once to the same dog, could you at least make the case for gross negligence?

#28 ·
Found this interesting...5 min. video

Molecular Biologist Explains How THC Completely Kills Cancer Cells | Collective-Evolution

^^^
Cannabinoids have been proven to reduce cancer cells as they have a great impact on the rebuilding of the immune system. Although not every strain of cannabis has the same effect, more and more patients are seeing success in cancer reduction in a short period of time by using cannabis. Contrary to popular belief, smoking cannabis does not assist a great deal in treating disease within the body as therapeutic levels cannot be reached through smoking. Creating oil from the plant or eating the plant is the best way to go about getting the necessary ingredients, the cannabinoids.

Please note: Don't go blowing smoke in Fido's face that is animal cruelty.

Pot for Pooches | Animal Wellness

^^^
When Nikita was facing her final weeks after a battle with cancer, her guardian and veterinarian Dr. Doug Kramer eased her discomfort with medical marijuana. The Siberian husky soon stopped whimpering with pain and began eating, gaining weight and even meeting Dr. Kramer at the door the way she used to. While the marijuana didn’t extend her life, it definitely improved the quality of the life she had left.

#29 ·
My epilepsy group has been bringing this up for a while now. There are a lot of people so desperate to find help I see no reason to not look into it. I watched & have read stories about it helping children with seizures. The THC is removed from the plants there is no high. Personally I would try it on Kiya when more people report success.

#31 ·
Just had to post this :D
....anybody have some scooby snacks!

Mammal Dog breed Canidae Dog Grass

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.