Medical Marijuana Threatens Pet Health - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I'll bet dog treats are selling like crazy as well.....

SuperG
I should have bought stock in cheese puffs.

The previous medical MJ laws here were such a mockery that more folks were clearly duping the system for recreational purposes than there were real medical cases the law was intended for like my aunt who passed of cancer.

The war on drugs tax money is far better spent keeping heroin away from my deadbeat half sister.

I'm in complete agreement with crackem's post. But if the point of the article is to not leave stuff out for your pets and kids to get into then it can't be all bad.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Increase in occurrence or just more people willing to seek help due to legalization for medical/recreational? No different than anything else you don't want your dog eating, keep it put up.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

do you have that CO study? I'd love to see how they arrived at their conclusions. What was the control group, what percent of dogs die in a 6 year period in a normal population? I'd bet 2% wasn't even statistically significant from any control, if there was one. But I'll hold off on final judgement till I see the actual study, not news channels interpretation of one.

I see they also said a lot of it was mixed with other foods like chocolate, I wonder how that contributed to the symptoms of "marijuana toxicity" I wonder what other foods were in there as well?

and using the story of a dog that has eaten everything from "chicken bones" to "Glass ornaments" and we're supposed to believe that marijuana is the problem? sounds like the owner has a death wish for her dog
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I don't have it.

People just need to keep their stuff up. And if you are imbibing any substance that makes you foggy - turkey, pot, booze, pills, chocolate, put everything up ahead of time.

Don't let the dog indulge in any way. They like children, some disabled, do not have a choice therefore you don't give it to them unless you are a jerk.

There are regular old over the counter meds here in my house that are poisonous - deadly poisonous - if ingested. They are put up, but I still worry. If NY was a legal state and I had pot here, it would be put up just like everything else.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It said more than 20% of the mj had been combined with chololate. Perhaps between the two of them, but ...... certainly ......just don't let the dogs get to it you use it.

Not a legal state here. Wish it was for my mother's sake (hospice care). We are VERY careful as she has a lot of drugs which could be lethal.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would almost think that the same affects a cat gets from cat nip would be something like a dog with this stuff??? I don't really think its an issue anyway, well one that can't be resolved by putting the stuff out of reach, just like one would do if they had kids. Is there a report that more kids of parents that have prescriptions are going to school stoned because its legal now?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

When my pit was undergoing chemo, I asked the vet if she would derive any benefit from marijuana--like increased appetite or pain relief. The answer was emphatically "No."
It's not like catnip and cats. Dogs get confused, lethargic and groggy.

They have had to retrain the drug dogs here to not alert to marijuana. What a weird world.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

I suffer from migraines and take a "cocktail" of prescription and OTC pills. Part of it is a huge dose of ibuprofen. I've always been insanely careful with my ibuprofen. I know how dangerous it is for dogs and yet it's probably one of the most common OTC pills, you can find it in almost any household. People need to be careful with ANY drug (heck, even common house plants, cleaners.....) when it comes to dogs.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehmannwa View Post

They have had to retrain the drug dogs here to not alert to marijuana. What a weird world.
That is stupid, I'm sure people will still have it illegally. So even those people are now excused?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Possession is legal here--except for minors- and there are better uses of resources, I guess. I am sure the black market will continue but with store front sales coming soon it will be hard to discern what is legal/illegal.

The nice thing from a dog's health perspective is that if a dog does ingest marijuana, you can straight up tell the vet without fear of repercussions. I think the original article alludes to the notion that people are now more likely to report marijuana toxicity. I'm not a user myself--I'm already odd enough--but I appreciated that I could ask my dog's cancer vet about marijuana without stigma.

It's very odd when I watch "Cops" and see someone getting arrested for pot possession.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.