German Shepherds Forum banner

mange treatments

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  middleofnowhere 
#1 ·
hello,

my girl has been scratching like crazy so we found the borax/hydrogen peroxide treatment. it's working but all the mites have traveled to her face and ears. i am hesitant on applying the borax/hydrogen mixture on her face. will this cause her to go blind? i read ivermectin is another solution to getting rid of the mites. will she ever be fully rid of the mites? she scratches then eventually bites herself.

#2 ·
I used Neem oil on one of my dogs mange. I mixed it 50/50 with olive oil and rubbed that in every day few days. I rub all around eyes and ears and under chin, legs, belly and back. It is ok for the dog to try clean itself after as the neem is not toxic.

#3 ·
I went with a vet treatment. Typically, mites are a part of the environment and classically, dogs host some of them. Mange becomes a problem when there are too many. While the dog might not be ever totally free of mange mites, mine grew more hair after treatment than they had had before they became infested. So maybe not totally free but oh boy were they hairy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.