What tests for hypothyroidism? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default What tests for hypothyroidism?

Does anyone have a shy dog that has hypothyroidism. What symptoms did your dog have and what tests should I have performed to check?
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hemopet Hemolife Thyroid Testing

Normal ranges are calculated for different dog breeds, Dr. Dodds has an amazing data base. Hemopet provides instructions on how you can send a blood sample yourself, drawn by your vet.
Mary Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Our previous GSD mix, Mandy had hypothyroid most of her life.
We first noticed weight gain - got many rude comments from neighbors, she was not overfed. Lost endurance when exercising. Took her to the vet, vet ignored all clues. Told me I was overfeeding dog and recommended some horrendous dry food.
One day I took her out for a walk and she refused to walk. Took her to the vet again, she did a simple blood test for thyroid function. After leaving the vet, we took Mandy to the park. A stranger at the park walked up to us and said, "your dog has Rat Tail, does she have hypothyroid?". This is another sign, loosing hair on the tail, and kind of thinning hair. We got another comment from a dog owner that asked if our dog was only inside, as she thought my dog would have a thicker coat being 1/2 GSD. After the rat tail comment I was so upset with the vet that she missed an obvious sign.

Throughout her life she had weight issues, intolerance to extreme heat and cold, dandruff, mild skin issues. As soon as we put her on medicine she lost 8lbs. She was 92lbs and then stayed about 84lbs. The vet really wanted her 80lbs or less.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Our previous GSD mix, Mandy had hypothyroid most of her life.
We first noticed weight gain - got many rude comments from neighbors, she was not overfed. Lost endurance when exercising. Took her to the vet, vet ignored all clues. Told me I was overfeeding dog and recommended some horrendous dry food.
One day I took her out for a walk and she refused to walk. Took her to the vet again, she did a simple blood test for thyroid function. After leaving the vet, we took Mandy to the park. A stranger at the park walked up to us and said, "your dog has Rat Tail, does she have hypothyroid?". This is another sign, loosing hair on the tail, and kind of thinning hair. We got another comment from a dog owner that asked if our dog was only inside, as she thought my dog would have a thicker coat being 1/2 GSD. After the rat tail comment I was so upset with the vet that she missed an obvious sign.

Throughout her life she had weight issues, intolerance to extreme heat and cold, dandruff, mild skin issues. As soon as we put her on medicine she lost 8lbs. She was 92lbs and then stayed about 84lbs. The vet really wanted her 80lbs or less.

how awful for you and her. Im so glad you found out what it was. Thanks for the symptoms post.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jane View Post
Hemopet Hemolife Thyroid Testing

Normal ranges are calculated for different dog breeds, Dr. Dodds has an amazing data base. Hemopet provides instructions on how you can send a blood sample yourself, drawn by your vet.
thank You Im going to check this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.