German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   What tests for hypothyroidism? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/404218-what-tests-hypothyroidism.html)

Msmaria 01-30-2014 01:17 PM

What tests for hypothyroidism?

Does anyone have a shy dog that has hypothyroidism. What symptoms did your dog have and what tests should I have performed to check?

Mary Jane 01-30-2014 02:30 PM

Hemopet Hemolife Thyroid Testing

Normal ranges are calculated for different dog breeds, Dr. Dodds has an amazing data base. Hemopet provides instructions on how you can send a blood sample yourself, drawn by your vet.

Gretchen 01-30-2014 03:29 PM

Our previous GSD mix, Mandy had hypothyroid most of her life.
We first noticed weight gain - got many rude comments from neighbors, she was not overfed. Lost endurance when exercising. Took her to the vet, vet ignored all clues. Told me I was overfeeding dog and recommended some horrendous dry food.
One day I took her out for a walk and she refused to walk. Took her to the vet again, she did a simple blood test for thyroid function. After leaving the vet, we took Mandy to the park. A stranger at the park walked up to us and said, "your dog has Rat Tail, does she have hypothyroid?". This is another sign, loosing hair on the tail, and kind of thinning hair. We got another comment from a dog owner that asked if our dog was only inside, as she thought my dog would have a thicker coat being 1/2 GSD. After the rat tail comment I was so upset with the vet that she missed an obvious sign.

Throughout her life she had weight issues, intolerance to extreme heat and cold, dandruff, mild skin issues. As soon as we put her on medicine she lost 8lbs. She was 92lbs and then stayed about 84lbs. The vet really wanted her 80lbs or less.

Msmaria 01-30-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 4935002)
Our previous GSD mix, Mandy had hypothyroid most of her life.
We first noticed weight gain - got many rude comments from neighbors, she was not overfed. Lost endurance when exercising. Took her to the vet, vet ignored all clues. Told me I was overfeeding dog and recommended some horrendous dry food.
One day I took her out for a walk and she refused to walk. Took her to the vet again, she did a simple blood test for thyroid function. After leaving the vet, we took Mandy to the park. A stranger at the park walked up to us and said, "your dog has Rat Tail, does she have hypothyroid?". This is another sign, loosing hair on the tail, and kind of thinning hair. We got another comment from a dog owner that asked if our dog was only inside, as she thought my dog would have a thicker coat being 1/2 GSD. After the rat tail comment I was so upset with the vet that she missed an obvious sign.

Throughout her life she had weight issues, intolerance to extreme heat and cold, dandruff, mild skin issues. As soon as we put her on medicine she lost 8lbs. She was 92lbs and then stayed about 84lbs. The vet really wanted her 80lbs or less.

how awful for you and her. Im so glad you found out what it was. Thanks for the symptoms post.

Msmaria 01-30-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Jane (Post 4934674)
Hemopet Hemolife Thyroid Testing

Normal ranges are calculated for different dog breeds, Dr. Dodds has an amazing data base. Hemopet provides instructions on how you can send a blood sample yourself, drawn by your vet.

thank You Im going to check this out.