German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   New Allergy Drug, Apoquel, Anyone using it? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/403090-new-allergy-drug-apoquel-anyone-using.html)

Oliver'smom 01-28-2014 11:24 AM

New Allergy Drug, Apoquel, Anyone using it?

Has anyone tried this drug for their dogs struggling with allergies? We are currently using cyclosporine and hydroxyzine with ok results, but still some itching and the cyclosporine upsets his stomach. I just sent the link to our Vet with some questions, but would love any feedback from others.

https://online.zoetis.com/US/EN/Prod...dvm/Index.aspx

Heidigsd 02-21-2014 01:38 PM

I haven't tried it but found this interesting post about it:

Apoquel - new drug - DOL Great Dane Forum

JakodaCD OA 02-21-2014 03:19 PM

I first heard about it a couple weeks ago, a girl on one of the gsd fb pages i"m on, had an itchy gsd for quite a few years, nothing was working, she started the shot and she said she saw results within 24 hours..The dog is doing well on it.

My vet just happened to go to a seminar on it, but honestly, I forgot to ask what she thought of it since I don't have itchy dogs:)

Oliver'smom 02-26-2014 11:27 AM

We decided to make the switch to Apoquel. The combination of cyclosporine & hydroxyzine just wasn't keeping Ollie from lots of scratching and pretty routine staff infections. I couldn't see how we would survive years if this was what we had to do since Ollie has been itchy since we picked him up at 7.5 weeks and is now 10 months old. We have been through multiple food trials, meds, supplements, etc and nothing really worked except prednisone which isn't a long term solution.

We are on day 2.5 of Apoquel only and we have noticed a dramatic decrease in itching. Like almost none at all. I would venture to say only normal dog scratching levels (although I might have lost my gauge on what that level is...). The whole family managed to sleep through the night the past 2 nights without having to have major itch interventions or where a cone.

No side effects thus far that we have noticed. I'll keep posting our experience, but so far things are very good.

I will say the drug proved a bit hard to acquire as the manufacturer is only letting it out in limited doses, but we found another Vet that had ordered a supply and was willing to sell some to our Vet.

Heidigsd 02-26-2014 11:32 AM

Great news, I am glad it's working for you Ollie, allergies are such a pain for both the dog and owner :(

We are dealing with itchy paws right now but medicated shampoo and Dermacool w/lidocaine is working right now.

I hope you don't mind me asking but I am interested what the cost of Apoquel is.

blackshep 02-26-2014 12:15 PM

My sister is on cyclosporine and it's very, very hard on bodies. I have not heard of this new drug, it will be interesting to see how dogs handle it, thanks for posting!

Oliver'smom 02-26-2014 03:45 PM

The 100 pill bottle of apoquel was $88. I have been paying $260/month for cyclosporine, and $45/month per bottle of hydroxyzine. I'm not sure how many pills are in the hydroxyzine bottle. The cyclosporine was slowing bleeding us dry on top of special food, special shampoos, lots of trips to the vet.

Also we did have trouble with Ollie throwing if we gave him the cyclosporine anytime sooner than 3-4 hours after a meal.

Fingers crossed the apoquel is our miracle drug.

Heidigsd 02-26-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver'smom (Post 5095826)
The 100 pill bottle of apoquel was $88. I have been paying $260/month for cyclosporine, and $45/month per bottle of hydroxyzine. I'm not sure how many pills are in the hydroxyzine bottle. The cyclosporine was slowing bleeding us dry on top of special food, special shampoos, lots of trips to the vet.

Also we did have trouble with Ollie throwing if we gave him the cyclosporine anytime sooner than 3-4 hours after a meal.

Fingers crossed the apoquel is our miracle drug.

That's not a bad price at all. I know the cyclosporine is very expensive and the hydroxyzine never did help us much. Here is a good website if you are interested. Dr. Lewis took care of my Heidi for many years and he mentions Apoquel on his blog. Fingers crossed that Apoquel is the answer for Ollie :)

Blog | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1

Twyla 02-26-2014 04:57 PM

This just came through my email today, saw the thread thought you may be interested:

CAUTION ZOETIS ANTI-ITCH VET MED | TheDogPress News

Kayos and Havoc 02-26-2014 05:02 PM

HAs Ollie ever been allergy tested to see what he is allergic to and possibly causing the itching?