Vet used a 2 month expired parvo vaccine on 10 week old pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vet used a 2 month expired parvo vaccine on 10 week old pup

I took my 10 week old to the vet last evening with my boyfriend to get his second parvo vaccine. When we got home we were looking in his passport and noticed that the vaccine expired 2 months ago. We called up the vet and they said that it's not a big deal and that the companies give very early expiration dates.

I don't know if I'm particularly convinced. It's easy enough for the vet to say it's not a big deal. I'm going to call a second vet to get another opinion today. I just wanted to know if anyone here can chime in or has any experience with this?

Personally, I'm not happy. I'm really mad that they didn't feel the need to at least tell us and explain it at the office, but I'm even more mad if they just didn't even notice that it was expired.

So is this not a big deal or should I be looking for a new vet?
Coraliine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to robeangyalchen

I don't know the side effects of an expired shot and don;t know if it is harmful or not but if some vet says expired shots are good enough to be given to my pup then i might consider changing the vet.

ETA: But that is just my opinion, I am a newbie and this is my second dog.

Tyson GSD 09 JUNE 2013
Rusty BOXER 12 Jan 2009 to 25 Oct 2012
robeangyalchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah that's sort of how I feel. I wouldn't accept an expired vaccine for myself or my [theoretical] child, so I don't feel comfortable accepting it for my dog.

ESPECIALLY since it's parvo. That stuff is serious.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would think worse case scenario it's just a weaker vaccine. The problem with that is this is an important time for shots for a young puppy. Was it just the parvo shot or like a 5 in 1?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

It's probably OK but on principle I'd be peeved that a vet would do that and say it's no big deal. I mean, you could save your self a lot of trouble and cost by doing your own expired vaccines, lol. So what is a vet for if they are using expired vaccines and shrugging it off?!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think the expired vaccine (two months) would pose a problem one way or the other for the pup.

However, if I am paying for a service (vaccines), I expect to get current dated vaccines. I would be concerned if the vet is taking short cuts or just not checking his/her stock for expiration dates what else are they short changing me on at the expense of my dog's health?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

By law, vaccines need to be marked with an expiration date....what I was told was that the effectiveness will diminish slightly over time....that you will need to revaccinate promptly if you use them....

when I worked at Penn Vet, I had a friend with 20+ "barn cats" (who would most definitely gravitate to the house when ever they felt like it!) A clinician there whose wife had a small animal clinic gave me a whole box or two of expired vaccines and said to use them up on the barn cats....they were fine, they were effective and they would not use them up in the practice....I would not worry about the vaccine, but I would be annoyed at the vet for not keeping fresh stock on hand and using expired stock on a paying customer....just on GP!!!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Don't worry about the shot, your pup is fine, but it should be at no cost. They should toss the expired product or give it away. It does not just turn bad over 2 month, but it's the right thing to do.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Don't worry about the shot, your pup is fine, but it should be at no cost. They should toss the expired product or give it away. It does not just turn bad over 2 month, but it's the right thing to do.
I agree, that is like stale donuts !!! still edible thing but should be free!!
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input everyone! I spoke to the vet the breeder uses as well as our breeder. They both said that it shouldn't be an issue, but they were both really annoyed and upset that a vet would use an expired vaccine without even talking to us about it beforehand and that they charged us full price.

I'll be calling the vet tomorrow to tell them I won't be coming back and will not be recommending them to anyone (we live in a small town and literally every single person we know has animals - lots of farms), and will in fact emphatically tell people not to go there.

The breeder's vet offered to give us a free booster in 4 weeks if we choose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.