German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   GSD is eating more than usual lately. Any reasons why? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/402722-gsd-eating-more-than-usual-lately-any-reasons-why.html)

germanshepherd07 01-27-2014 06:12 PM

GSD is eating more than usual lately. Any reasons why?

We feed her and the yorkie some Science Diet WD due to it being low in fat for the yorkie. We have been using this formula for many years now. My dog is eight years old and going on 9 in June.

Now she is eating both bowls of the food all the time even when I know she is not hungry but she'll go in the kitchen eat the food and I have to refill both bowls up to calm down the yorkie(he doesn't like a empty bowl regardless of what his appetite is lol). She has gained a lot of weight.

What could be the reasons for her eating so much all of a sudden this year? It's about 2 cups of food per bowl. Could they do a vitamin deficiency test on her?

Thanks and hope everyone has a great evening.

my boy diesel 01-27-2014 07:49 PM

that food is junk for the most part, sorry.
there's no meat at all, and marginal nutrition. that could be why. if your dog is 8=9yrs. you should take to vet and have bloodwork, but change the food to higher quality and just watch how much u give your yorkie dog. measure it with a scoop and meter the amt to match your dogs intake needs.

mickeyroyalty 01-27-2014 08:00 PM

Any sudden change in appetite is cause for concern. I would be concerned about thyroid under activity and Cushing's disease. Take her to the vet ASAP for blood tests. She may need a special diet. As your dog has been stable for 8 years and this is a sudden change, A medical condition is most likely.
BTW, I am a pharmacist.

gsdsar 01-27-2014 08:15 PM

I may be wrong. But I don't think WD is meant to be maintenance food for healthy dogs. It is low fat, yes, but is not going to provide the correct nutrition for a healthy GSD. I would feed them different foods and separate them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 01-27-2014 08:20 PM

Is she outside a lot? Maybe she needs the extra calories to stay warm?

germanshepherd07 01-28-2014 02:29 AM

We have to give out WD because the yorkie had two bouts with pancreaitis and the WD is very low in fat so its the only thing we can feed. This winter in NC has bern the coldest in a while so i dont know if the weathet is affecting her appetite but she goes ojt at mosy about five times a day. She does suffer from some skin and shedding issues that the vet is an allergy problem...there is no option of switching dog food brand or keeping it separate from the yorkie. Thanks and sorry for any bad spelling since i am on the phone..

my boy diesel 01-28-2014 02:40 AM

since theres no meat and lots of soy and other junk in wd food then thats probably why the allergies as soy and corn can be culprits.
sorry about the yorkie but if the shepherd is sick on the wd you need to figure out how to feed only the yorkie special food and get that shepherd on something better.
and the bloodwork. she's malnourished probably from the wd or has a disease going on as pharmacist said.
hills is junk anyway and they got sued for misrepresenting their foods and it's "health benefits" just recently.