German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   IGA deficient (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/402530-iga-deficient.html)

KiraIowa 01-27-2014 07:59 AM

IGA deficient

My German shepherd is 4.5 months old and has already had an overgrowth of bacteria on her ears, stomach, skin, and now has an eye infection. The vet says she may be deficient in an antibody-IGA. Has anyone else experienced this? It is genetic and not very common.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mary Beth 01-27-2014 09:36 PM

Oh that is bad news. Did the vet say what can be done? Since is it genetic, if I were you, I would inform the breeder.

Jax08 01-27-2014 09:44 PM

No. But here is an article on it written by Dr. Becker

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...eficiency.html

GatorBytes 01-27-2014 10:45 PM

I am glad your vet isn't at this as a typical "allergy" and I am interested as to their perspective and how to treat. Any suggestions?

I would think at 4.5 months old it would be speculative about genetics being "the cause". I would lean towards vaccines and deworming as cause for this deficiency...thus causing immune malfunction which is dubbed in most conventional assessments as "allergy".

When I first read this I immediately thought of Jax thread awhile back. Very informative.

Look into Bovine Colostrum - Proper Nutrition makes one that is 40% immunoglobulin as suggested in Dogs naturally (will find link)

However read this

Immunoglobulins (A, D, E, G and M) – the most abundant of the immune factors found in colostrum; IgG neutralizes toxins and microbes in the lymph and circulatory system; IgM destroys bacteria while IgE and IgD are highly antiviral (4,23,25).

Other immune Factors – some of the documented immune factors include secretory IgA, IgA Specific Helper, B Lactoglobulin, Lactalbumin, Albumin, Prealbumin, Alpha 1-Antitripsin, Alpha 1-Fetoprotein, Alpha 2 macroglobulin, Alpha 2-AP Glycoprotein, C3, C4 and Orosomucoids
^^^
found here: Colostrum Article in the American Journal of Natural Medicine | SynertekColostrum.com

And Dogs Naturally article
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/bovine-colostrum/

KiraIowa 01-28-2014 11:25 PM

Thanks everyone! The vet who was thinking about the deficiency said nothing can be done except to treat the infections as they come, unfortunately. However, our normal vet, said she is still a puppy and building her immune system. We are going to monitor her infections to see how frequent she comes down with something. Right now she is at bacteria overgrowth in ears, bacteria infection, pimple like, on her lower tummy, overgrowth of bacteria in stomach, and an eye infection. I tried getting ahold of the breeder but was unsuccessful yesterday- she has great reviews so I am hoping genetics is not a factor and the emergency vet- the vet who hypothesized the deficiency- is wrong. Guess it's just a waiting game. Thanks for the information- it is very helpful!!

KiraIowa 01-28-2014 11:30 PM

GREAT article Jax08! Will definitely try those ideas if infections continue!!

GatorBytes 01-29-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiraIowa (Post 4924402)

Why wait for IF. That is allowing disease to continue and suppress w/antibiotics etc. etc.

Prevention is better then managing.

Your pups immune system is under assault by stress, growing, vaccines, conventional medicine (abx.) and likely some kind of flea/tick/Heartworm prevention.

The symptoms you are seeing is a result of the immune system trying to detox. It is loosing.

You will end up on the hamster wheel of conventional treatment (abx., steroids, allergy tests, scripted foods, LID's)

Are you feeding RAW?

The issues you describe are bacteria and yeast - kibble diets with starches (ALL) contribute to yeast overgrowth.

Jax08 01-29-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiraIowa (Post 4924402)

Why not call Dr. Becker's office and get her input? :)

KiraIowa 01-29-2014 10:37 PM

Our normal vet is not thinking IGA deficiency, and her breeder said no genetic deficiencies in the parents.

The eye is most likely related to starting daycare, and the stomach is likely to be the cause of having someone home with her for 3 weeks, to no longer being on break and having to be home alone for a couple hours. She became stressed, which disrupted the bacteria in her stomach.

She also may have developed an allergy to protein in her food- so testing different food options.

Slowly not taking the emergency vets opinion, since he called her a "monster"- when all she was doing was crying because he was shining bright lights in her eyes and putting drops in them. Very rude and very unprofessional. He also said she had a behavioral problem; which is false. She is very well behaved, knows basic commands, listens very well, and knows when she is not allowed to do something and will stop when told "no".

GatorBytes 01-29-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiraIowa (Post 4931010)
The eye is most likely related to starting daycare, and the stomach is likely to be the cause of having someone home with her for 3 weeks, to no longer being on break and having to be home alone for a couple hours. She became stressed, which disrupted the bacteria in her stomach.

She also may have developed an allergy to protein in her food- so testing different food options.

Please don't take offence...hamster wheel

Good luck