German Shepherds Forum banner

4.5 month old female jumped off bed

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  doggiedad 
#1 ·
Every morning when I am getting ready for work I will let my puppy sleep on our bed. She is always very good with laying down and watching me get ready, but today she suddenly jumped off. It's a larger bed with a plush top so the jump off is quite high. I'm very worried about her hips and if that could have caused damage leading to hip dysplasia. She was walking a little strange and did a "bunny hop" run around the house afterwards.

From experience with German shepherds and hip dysplasia, does anyone have any thoughts? I've always tried to be very protective of her hips and hip dysplasia is my one concern.

Her parents had certified hips so genetics would not be a huge concern of mine, only environmental situations that would lead to a problem.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
I had the same concern with my pup when that leap off the tall bed seemed rather high for her. However, I was more concerned about her front legs as those limbs seemed to take most of the impact.

I remember I was concerned enough to get my pup ( with my assistance ) to slowly slide off the bed while on her belly so the drop was less. I kind of laugh at myself now but at the time I felt it was a real concern regarding the integrity of her joints.

I think paying attention and minimizing any undue shock to a puppy's joints is probably a great idea. But, as you stated "she suddenly jumped off", it takes a lot of vigilance to stay on top of a GSD pup and their self education.

Hoping she is just fine !

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.