Allergy testing questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Allergy testing questions

chance finally has his IBD under control, but I can't seem to get his bacterial skin lesions under control. We go through treatments and they go away and then turn up on another part of his body. He is taking Vitamin E supplements that helped with the last bought of infections, and all was clear for about a week and now the base of his ear at his head is inflammed, hair gone. The vet wants to do allergy testing and possibly shots. Very expensive for my budget,, but may have to do this. Has anyone else done this, what were the results and most of all, do the shots help at all?
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey lisgje,

I'm basically in the exact same situation as you. My boy has had severe allergies since around 6 months old (he will be 2 in April). It reached a point that the infections were so bad steroid tablets were the only option to make him comfortable (They really did work extremely well, but it is not a long term option because of the side effects of weight gain etc).

I have done skin biopsy's, spent hundreds of dollars on antibiotics and tried around 9-10 different foods, nothing has really worked.

I'm now in your position of deciding to do these allergy testing and then possibly the shots. The overall pricing for this is about $2000, and although the price is high i wouldn't mind doing it if i knew it would work 100 percent. (obviously nothing is 100 percent when it comes to allergies).

Sorry for the ramble but i wanted to bump this topic and also see what other GSD owners have experienced in regards to allergy shots.
GSD17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Both my girls had/have allergies and received allergy shots. I can only recommend that the testing and treatment is done by a dermatologist to make sure it's correct.

Heidi had severs allergies and started treatment in 1998. She was three years old then and received her allergy shots until she passed away at 14. They did help a lot but she would still have issues with her ears from time to time and eventually developed these polyps in both ears and she had to have TECA's on both ears. Vet said he had never seen anything like it.

Nikki has been on the shots for about 2 years now and is doing good. Every now and then she will get itchy paws but it's not a big deal. After this week we will switch to the sublingual drops.

I must say I have never paid even close to $2000 for allergy testing, that seems very high. I would have to dig up my receipt but I think I paid around $600 for Nikki. I pay $380 for the allergy drops which is about the same as the allergy serum.

Here are some links that may help, Dr. Lewis is a wonderful dermatologist and he treated my Heidi for five years.

Frequently Asked Questions | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1

There is also a new allergy medication it's called "Apoquel"
Blog | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are you referring to environmental or food allergy testing?
Our previous dog had a blood test for environmental allergies. I forget the cost, $300-$500 but worth it. We found out her problem in 4 days. She had 4 allergies, two were to dust and mold. The other two were to plants seldom found in our area. She used to sleep with her head under my bed. By stepping up the cleaning, her reactions stopped.

As far as food allergies go, My vet thought our current dog, Molly had them. When we switched diet to a raw type (1st food was dehydrated raw from The Honest Kitchen) all symptoms stopped. She can eat any protein. We never did shots.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Have you thought about Dr. Jean Dodd's NUTRISCAN?
Several friends have had great success with this!

Here is some of the info and references to look up:

NutriScan NutriScan Food Sensitivity and Intolerance Test for Cats and Dogs

This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet.Dr. Jean Dodds, NutriScan tests for the twenty most commonly ingested foods by dogs to provide you with specific results as to your dog's food intolerances or sensitivities. Since it is a salivary test, you have the convenience to complete the test at home or at your veterinarian’s office. Best of all, you can have the results in approximately two weeks to help you put your dog on the right diet.
Remember, NutriScan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”
NutriScan is split into two test panels, so you can order one or both. I’d order both.
Panel1: Beef, Corn, Wheat, Soy, Cow’s Milk, Lamb, Venison/Deer, Chicken, Turkey, White Fish.
Panel 2: Chicken Eggs, Barley, Millet, Oatmeal, Salmon, Rabbit, Rice, Quinoa, Potatoes, Peanuts/Peanut Butter.
$130 for one panel (10 antigens), $250 for two panels (20 antigens). Vet Allergy test cost about $500 for 20 antigens. Check this page for test differences: http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-difference/nutriscan-vs-skin-patchskin-prick-testing.html
Q. How does this test differ from other food “allergy” tests on serum or feces ?
A. Food allergy tests measure antibodies to IgG and IgE in serum or feces. These are typically more acute allergic reactions to foods, whereas NutriScan measures IgA and IgM antibodies on the bowel’s mucosal surface, and thus more directly correlates to symptoms of bowel (GI tract) disease. http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-difference/faqs.html

“NutriScan is a patented novel saliva test for canine food sensitivity and intolerance.” http://hemopet.org/

“This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods.”

“Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet. For years, though, the difficulty lay in figuring out what foods were problematic – until now. Nutri-Scan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”
http://www.hemopet.org/nutriscan.html

“In contrast to food allergies, food sensitivity and intolerance is more common and can be a long term reaction.” http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-difference.html

For the first time in veterinary history, pets can be diagnosed and treated for food sensitivities on an individual basis. We consider the dog’s age, breed, and size in all of our diagnostic technology. Not all dogs are metabolically and genetically alike and our technology provides for individualized care.” http://nutriscan.org/images/stories/Press_Release_Nutrigenomics.pdf

Nutri-Scan vs Food Elimination Trials: http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-difference/nutriscan-vs-food-elimination-trials.html
Advantages: http://nutriscan.org/images/stories/NutriScan_ADVANTAGE.pdf
Site showing results from testing: http://fidoseofreality.com/does-the-nutriscan-kit-to-solve-dog-food-allergies-work/

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Another thought:
SeaVive is a combination of SeaCure (Pacific Whiting Fish), Colostrum, Beta Gluten.
SeaVive® is a 100% natural, pre-digested fish protein concentrate combined with Colostrum 80/40 which is critical for good immune function. This combination is the only product on the market like it in the world. It is now available in the nutraceutical industry today. SeaVive® naturally contains a total of 18 amino acids including the 11 essential amino acids. Essential amino acids are amino acids that cannot be synthesized by the dog/cat's body and must be supplied to the body in their daily diet. But when a system is compromised due to disease or a debilitating condition SeaVive is the ideal supplement because of the benefits of a quickly absorbed and fully assimilated protein source- one of which is fast repair and recovery from illness, surgery, and wound healing. Because SeaVive® is already pre-digested it is 100% usable by the body, and it does not require effort on the part of the dog's digestive system to process the protein. This makes it readily available for nourishment, boosting immune function and accelerated healing.Because SeaVive® is already pre-digested it is 100% usable by the body, and it does not require effort on the part of the dog's digestive system to process the protein. This makes it readily available for nourishment, boosting immune function and accelerated healing. This product is perfect for fading puppy syndrome, the systemic yeast removal detoxification process, dog's whose systems are depleted from IBD, IBS, Coccidia and Giardia. It is a terrific supplement for dog's with allergies due to its immune boosting properties and an answer to nourishment for the stages of early renal failure because it's a protein the body does not have to process, so it is usable and not hard on the compromised kidneys.
IMMUNE SYSTEM MISSION: Prevent disease and infection
Mucous membranes that line body cavities open to the environment, such as those found in the nose and gut, house antibodies called immunoglobulins that ensnare pathogens and potential antigens encountered in daily life. Thus, mucous membranes function as the first step in the mission of the immune system to prevent disease and infection.
Toxic invaders that sneak by the mucosal barrier are met by white blood cells called macrophages, which by a process called phagocytosis literally digest and destroy invaders in the blood. Thus, macrophages become the body's inside line of defense responsible for seeking and indiscriminately destroying viruses, parasites, fungi, and bacteria.
Two new supplements aid and assist these defenses against disease and infection. They are Colostrum, which supplies critical immunoglobulins to block invaders at the level of the mucosal barrier, and Beta glucan, which stimulates the action of the macrophages to phagocytize invaders in the blood stream. A third supplement Seacure® aids the immune system indirectly by correcting pathogenic bowel permeability to prevent hazards from passing through the gut membrane to infect internal organs. Finally, Vitamin C is well recognized for its immune-supportive properties. All four of these components are combined to produce the one-of-a-kind immune-booster ... SeaVive®. About SeaVive
During the manufacturing process of SeaVive they employ a proprietary technology that permits them to, naturally, breakdown the fresh raw material, Pacific Whiting (a member of the Cod family) making SeaVive
almost 100% absorbable and assimilated by the body.
Some Examples of Use:
Detoxification During Yeast Removal
Boosting Immune Function
Allergies
IBD and IBS
Digestive Issues
Malabsorption Issues
Giardia
Coccidia
Parasites
Malnutrition
Rescue & Repair
Lactating Bitches
Fading Puppy Syndrome
Wound Healing - Topically
Repair After Surgery
Wound Healing - Internally
HOD (when off feed)
Nourishment Post Surgery
Renal Failure

About SeaVive
Or here: SeaVive 90 Capsules by Proper Nutrition

SeaCURE, is used for wound healing, post surgical recovery, chronic diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, malabsorption issues, repairs digestive organs and improves immune deficiency. "Seacure® aids the immune system indirectly by helping to correct pathogenic bowel permeability to prevent hazards from passing through the gut membrane to infect internal organs".
Per Whole Dog Journal:
This life-saving protein supplement comes from the sea.
By CJ Puotinen
Can you imagine a food so easy to assimilate that even the most impaired digestive tract absorbs it on contact?
Now imagine that this food speeds the healing of wounds throughout the body, repairs digestive organs, alleviates nausea and vomiting, stops diarrhea, supports the liver during detoxification, reduces the side effects of chemotherapy and possibly helps prevent or reverse cancer, prevents toxemia in pregnancy, rescues newborns from Fading Puppy Syndrome,helps elderly dogs maintain their strength and stamina, helps all dogs recover from chronic and acute illness, stimulates hair growth, reduces urinary tract infections, reduces or eliminates allergic reactions, prevents hot spots, improves mobility, reduces pain, and even enhances the effectiveness of homeopathy and herbal therapies.
SeaCURE ingredients: Pacific Whiting Fish protein hydrolyzed condensed.
Here is some additional information:
SeaCure:The following tips and suggested amounts are a great starting point.
*To reduce its fishy odor, store Seacure in the freezer.
*For maintenance, adjust the label dosage to your dog’s weight (1/4 teaspoon of the powder for every 10 pounds of body weight per day, or 1 capsule per 20 pounds, or 1 of the Seacure Pet Tabs per 10 pounds of body weight). Seacure is nontoxic and can be given in quantities that exceed label doses.
*To help prevent toxemia in pregnancy, give at least the maintenance dose from breeding to whelping.
*For underweight or malnourished puppies, or to supplement a mother dog’s milk, mix Seacure with enough pure or filtered water to make a milk-like liquid and feed by dropper or nursing bottle.
*To prevent adverse symptoms of detoxification on fast days, when switching from commercial to home-prepared food, or when using herbs and supplements that support detoxification, give at least the maintenance dose.
*To help dogs recover from surgery, cuts, wounds, trauma injuries, or broken bones, give at least twice the maintenance dose.
*To treat digestive disorders, such as diarrhea, colitis, or irritable bowel disease, give at least 1/4 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight twice or three times per day between or just before meals.
*After symptoms subside, use the maintenance dose. Products and here: Proper Nutrition Seacure Dog Cat Supplement

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidigsd View Post
Both my girls had/have allergies and received allergy shots. I can only recommend that the testing and treatment is done by a dermatologist to make sure it's correct.

Heidi had severs allergies and started treatment in 1998. She was three years old then and received her allergy shots until she passed away at 14. They did help a lot but she would still have issues with her ears from time to time and eventually developed these polyps in both ears and she had to have TECA's on both ears. Vet said he had never seen anything like it.

Nikki has been on the shots for about 2 years now and is doing good. Every now and then she will get itchy paws but it's not a big deal. After this week we will switch to the sublingual drops.

I must say I have never paid even close to $2000 for allergy testing, that seems very high. I would have to dig up my receipt but I think I paid around $600 for Nikki. I pay $380 for the allergy drops which is about the same as the allergy serum.

Here are some links that may help, Dr. Lewis is a wonderful dermatologist and he treated my Heidi for five years.

Frequently Asked Questions | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1

There is also a new allergy medication it's called "Apoquel"
Blog | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1
From what the vet told me over the phone, she said it would be about 300-500 for the environmental blood testing, and then to make up the syrums for the year it would work out to around 2000. She said he would eventually need only a shot a month or so.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD17 View Post
From what the vet told me over the phone, she said it would be about 300-500 for the environmental blood testing, and then to make up the syrums for the year it would work out to around 2000. She said he would eventually need only a shot a month or so.
Is this a dermatologist or a regular vet?

With both my girls the dermatologist did the intradermal skin testing and the blood test for cross reference. Years ago Heidi would get her allergy shot every two weeks. When we moved to TX her new dermatologist prefers the shots once a week for better results. I estimate it costs about $1600 a year for the shots/drops.

Take a look at the sublingual drops: Heska - New ALLERCEPT® Allergy Therapy Drops for dogs, cats, and horses.

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

wow, lots of information to process, thanks everyone. Chance keeps getting bacterial lesions which we treat and then in a month or two, they come back. Now dealing with testing for ringworm as he has a suspicious area at the base of his ear at his head that does not look like the other infections he has previously had. Waiting for test results on that. I am about at my wits end with all the skin issues, infections and lesions. I have done everything I can to make my house allergy safe. Just very frustrated with this. Did my research on Ringworm and if it is that, I am going to have a tough time. He sheds like a maniac and I can't exactly treat everything in my house with bleach as is recommended. Hope it is not ringworm! Poor boy has been through so much with his skin issues, this would be so bad, for him and me.
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 03:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidigsd View Post
Is this a dermatologist or a regular vet?

With both my girls the dermatologist did the intradermal skin testing and the blood test for cross reference. Years ago Heidi would get her allergy shot every two weeks. When we moved to TX her new dermatologist prefers the shots once a week for better results. I estimate it costs about $1600 a year for the shots/drops.

Take a look at the sublingual drops: Heska - New ALLERCEPT® Allergy Therapy Drops for dogs, cats, and horses.
Hey, i believe she said it would be with a dermatologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.