(Text Heavy) Partial seizures/muscle spasm and Weight loss - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Unhappy (Text Heavy) Partial seizures/muscle spasm and Weight loss

So first thing's first.. has anyone ever dealt with partial seizures? The other night Titan jumped up out of a dead sleep, his back muscles completely tightened putting him in this scared cat postion (feet together, VERY arched back) and tail was completely tucked under. Couldn't move. He was awake and aware and would try to come to me when I called him but could take itty bitty steps. After about 5-10 minutes (while I was on the phone with the ER vet) he loosened up and went back to laying down and fell back asleep.. happened twice, that was the second time, the first time lasted about 30 seconds about 5 hours prior to that incident so we were unsure what really happened. Vet told me that since he was back to sleeping and seemed to be normal in other aspects to bring him in the morning. So we did. After explaining things and talking about everything, she said that she thinks he may have had a partial seizure or a very very bad muscle spasm. but with this being the only incident she wants me to keep an eye on him. If it happens again to bring him back immediately. So... just curious on y'all's thoughts..

Second to all this is his weight loss. When I left for my deployment in Feb last year, he was 93 lbs and very healthy, lean and muscular, not an ounce of fat. When I got back in Sept (7 months later) he was 85. Not extreme but enough that I wasn't sure that was right. Well my vet said she didn't want him lose anymore weight but if he stayed at 85 that wouldn't be terrible for him because of the hips and all that. He still looked healthy to her and all that so said not to worry. When he went in yesterday for the seizure incident, he was 77 lbs. So now you're talking 15 lbs of loss. Nothing has changed as far as diet. Still on the same food and same amount as for the last 2 years. While I was deployed he didn't get as much exercise and didn't eat his food only a few times. When I got home, we exercised more and he continued on the same food and diet, eating everytime. Admittedly he is even getting a little extra since I have been back and with the holiday, scraps from meats and veggies, leftovers in a Kong or in his bowl after he eats. It doesn't make sense to me. The vet did a blood panel on him yesterday because now she is concerned. She check thyroid and worms and a few other things, and said they were all perfect and he ws very healthy so she suggested for the next month to increase his diet. Add things to his food and give him more treats (healthy treats) but over all increase his intake. In a Motnh he has to go back for his annual anyways so she wants to weigh him then and take it from there.

Help.. what are your opinions, if you've dealt with it, and what kinds of things are good to add to his food to increase his diet?

Could the 2 (weight loss and whatever spasm he had) be related at all?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh and he is on Nature's Recipe: Salmon, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin. 3 cups a day, for the last 2 years with no issues. We use Natural Balance: Lamb food rolls, cut up as training treats and various sweet potato, banana, yogurt, peanut butter, etc. treats as just every day normal "here's a treat for being you." I try to stay away from a protein in his every day treats and only for his training treats.

About every other week he gets a raw marrow bone and randomly he'll get a bully stick when I happen to grab one at the store.

The scraps he would get would be like, green beans, scrambled eggs (plain), leftover bacon or sausage, and meat trimmings from a steak before seasoning. His Kong usually consists of those or his food with peanut butter or gravy and some treats.

Whitney
and
Old 01-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

What are the calories per cup? 3 cups may not be enough if his ideal weight is 85 pounds. Here's a food calculator to use to see how much to feed. Of course, that doesn't take into account the treats so just subtract some out for that.
Does he have diarrhea or loose stools often? The other thought would be EPI (he would need enzymes for that).
Hope he's ok.
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
What are the calories per cup? 3 cups may not be enough if his ideal weight is 85 pounds. Here's a food calculator to use to see how much to feed. Of course, that doesn't take into account the treats so just subtract some out for that.
Does he have diarrhea or loose stools often? The other thought would be EPI (he would need enzymes for that).
Hope he's ok.
he doesn't have loose stools often. He seems rather healthy in most aspects. Eat fine, drinks fine, poops fine, etc. I will look into the food calculator too.. thank you!

Whitney
and
Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That big of a weight loss is worrisome. I think the gauge is 10% of body weight indicates chronic disease and he has lost more than that. Those muscle spasms are sounding familiar to me--I am trying to remember what the disease was. One thing I would test for, if he were my dog, is Addison's disease.

I will try to figure out what else...

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also, tick disease. Did the vet test for ehrlichiosis?

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog is epileptic. I have witnessed several seizures - mostly grand mal. The description you gave of the episode your dog experienced does not match what I have observed in my dog.

Also, from what I have read, and heard from others, what you describe is also not a typical presentation for a "partial" or "focal" seizure.

Are there any other details you can share about the possible seizure episodes? Was the dog shaking while he was frozen in the position? Any facial tics? Any abnormal jaw snapping behaviors? Licking behaviors? Blinking behaviors? Did anything strike you as unusual immediately prior to or following the event?

Last edited by LifeofRiley; 01-23-2014 at 10:49 PM.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes, following up on LOR's post: this sounds like a severe muscle spasm or contraction. That's why I suggested Addison's or tick disease (combined with the weight loss).

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Acute pancreatitis (roaching of the back and inability to move = pain)possibly w/concurrent EPI (unexplained weight loss), or malabsorption syndrome

Pancreatitis could be brought on by the fatty treats - marrow bone, peanut butter, sausages, BACON (very bad), meat trimmings
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Very rare, but another dog on the forum had it a few years back - tetanus - just throwing it out there and very doubtful, but just in case.

But a really good tick panel would be a great idea.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.