German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Very sick Pitbull need help (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/400426-very-sick-pitbull-need-help.html)

nomansland4404 01-23-2014 07:11 AM

Very sick Pitbull need help

I am posting this for a friend, his dog is currently in the Vet and not doing well. Her symptoms are she threw up at first and had blood in her urine. Now she will not eat at all or drink. She has gotten VERY skinny. The Vet gave her antibiotics and checked for bacteria in her stool and found nothing. Acting very lethargic also. She is only about 3 months old, also she is shedding right now which I didn't know if that was early or normal? This is about all I know. I know it isn't much but we would love to hear some opinions. Thank you so much in advance. The Vet doesn't seem to worried and thinks she will pull through but my friend is pretty nervous and says she looks very bad (super skinny).

JeanKBBMMMAAN 01-23-2014 07:30 AM

Did they do blood work and a urinalysis? I'd want those two things done and would be looking out for bloody stool because pitbulls are more susceptible to Parvo.

nomansland4404 01-23-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN (Post 4888066)
Did they do blood work and a urinalysis? I'd want those two things done and would be looking out for bloody stool because pitbulls are more susceptible to Parvo.

Friend said they did the urinalysis and found "crystals"? They thought that was from a urinary tract infection though. Vet just called him and said she's good to go home and doing better so I guess she's out of the woods.

blackshep 01-23-2014 09:10 AM

Oh that is great news, hope she continues to improve

DJEtzel 01-23-2014 09:29 AM

A UTI could cause the blood in the urine. I wouldn't expect vomiting unless the dog had been infected for a WHILE though. :/ Hope she pulls through.

nomansland4404 01-23-2014 07:51 PM

Well my friend sent me an update. His pup is home and sounds like she is doing a lot better. No real diagnosis on what was wrong. Vet seems to think she will be fine though so it sounds like she is out of the woods. She started eating so that had to be a good sign. I will keep every updated if something changes. Thanks for your concern!

nomansland4404 01-28-2014 08:48 AM

Well Sunday the dog took a turn for the worse. He had to take her back into the Vet, and guess what like I said to him he entire time there WAS a blockage. The dog had ate a sock and had surgery Monday morning to remove it. She is now doing fine and will be coming home as soon as she is eating again the vet said. He is glad this ordeal is finally (hopefully) over. He also said there will be NO MORE socks laying around. Haha

Chip Blasiole 01-28-2014 10:55 AM

Sometimes with an intestinal blockage, the Dx can be assisted by checking the dog's breath and determining if it smells like feces.