German Shepherds Forum banner

Vet for cut paw?

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Sookie 
#1 ·
Sookie cut her paw pad - is this a trip to the vet or home care? I have put antibiotic ointment on it and bandaged it up. If it gets worse or puss-filled I will obviously bring her in, but should I do so now?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I would Google" Well Horse" I've used it and it works...well! But I would say no.

Our Gunther BullMastiff/Pitmix specialized in cut paws! That doesn't even look long or deep enough for stitches. The Well Horse is something I keep on hand the neo will work for your needs but keeping it coated will be tricky. Limiting his activity for a few days would be helpful also. :)

#6 ·
I brought my dog in for a cut like that, only deeper. My vet said to keep it clean and watch it - like what you're already doing. He also said pads aren't something he likes to stitch because putting weight on them will pull the stitches out anyway, creating more problems.

#7 ·
I think you are fine with the current approach. I would keep a bandage off in the house if it is not bleeding just to keep air to it. Don't wrap it in vetwrap; the feet sweat and it does not breathe real well. Toddler tube socks are great for keeping feet clean - I just secure over the wrist or the hock with vetwrap.

#8 ·
Barker the Elder came in the house one morning with blood splattering - deep cut on the pad. Called the vet. Pack it with generic or band name preparation H (stops the capilary bleeding), add some triple antibiotic and that's it. Clean it if it gets dirty outside (or inside). You could call your vet and ask what they think of this approach. They should be fine with it and be willing to talk to you over the phone.

#10 ·
In the event of a deep cut, use Super-Glue. It was initially eyed as an emergency field fix for soldiers deep wounds. Sure it's a little toxic and probably not the best solution to a deep cut, but if bleeding is out of control anything is better than nothing.

Banjo once decided to leap through a plate glass window. It slashed one of his pads, close to the bone, probably 1/2" deep. The blood flow was astonishing. I glued him up, wrapped the paw and carted him to the e-vet. Vet had a look and pretty much said it was as good as stitches because pads are such a PITA to deal with. I kept his paw swaddled up(man, that was rough, he gnawed the wrap every time I wasn't on top of him) and after about a week he was back to his normal doggie nonsense. Took abut 3 years for the scar to vanish completely.

#12 ·
NASAR (National Association for Search and Rescue) actually recommends dog handlers carry super glue it in their K9 first aid pack. I would certainly flood with sterile saline (also in our pack) and dry as much as possible before applying.

For people one of MY Pack items is Afrin. If you have ever banged your nose on a dry cold day and gotten a nosebleed that stuff will stop it ASAP.

#13 ·

When this happened to Lisl it bled for two days. The third day I took her to my Vet and it stopped.

She wore the bandage I put on her for two more days and it healed fine.

#19 ·
It's only bad for around a month and then there is very little shed. She still needs combed and brushed regularly to keep her floofies and the rest of her fine hair from tangling or matting.

#21 ·
Thanks all! She has the bandage off for the night but I will put it back on in the morning. I'll keep it cleaned and watch it for any signs of not healing or infection; I got a bit paranoid as there was a bit on the news today about dogs dying of kidney failure after what looked like relatively minor paw and leg scrapes from something that is similar to Alabama rot. I had heard of the superglue trick but had previously reserved off-label preparation h use to get rid of bags under my eyes :) Sookie high-fives you for your assistance!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.