German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Anal Glands (moved to health issues) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/399746-anal-glands-moved-health-issues.html)

Bman0221 01-21-2014 09:02 PM

Anal Glands (moved to health issues)

Just wondering how many of you express your dogs glands. I have never done it, but it looks fairly easy based on what I can find on line.

My guy is doing the constant butt licking, which has in the past meant he needs them expressed. Usually have the vet check them and do it when we are in for routine visits if needed, he is not due for a trip so I was thinking of trying it myself.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

misslesleedavis1 01-21-2014 09:27 PM

I have done it for my moms BC, lots of paper towel, and do it outside ! lol also if you need step by step youtube it :)

volcano 01-21-2014 09:32 PM

They shouldnt need it, and to do it too often or halfway can cause serious issues. My girl needed it once due to soft stools for a week or two, she couldnt express. She was scooting on her butt after pooping. I brought her to the groomer and they said that they were full. She hasnt needed it since and now im better at changing the diet to more bone if the poop is loose.

marbury 01-21-2014 09:36 PM

Some I have to take in, some do it themselves, and some I do myself. I have a 14 y/o who needed at least once a month for most of his life. Now he has a tumor in his anal gland and needs it every few weeks.

If you're doing it at home I recommend the external version, unless you have a helper. Most dogs aren't fond of having a finger or two in places they shouldn't be and it can get dicey without a spotter.

Bman0221 01-21-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbury (Post 4879554)
Some I have to take in, some do it themselves, and some I do myself. I have a 14 y/o who needed at least once a month for most of his life. Now he has a tumor in his anal gland and needs it every few weeks.

If you're doing it at home I recommend the external version, unless you have a helper. Most dogs aren't fond of having a finger or two in places they shouldn't be and it can get dicey without a spotter.

The external method was what I was reading instructions for. I agree don't think I want to go with the internal way, I will leave that to the pro's if needed.

Sunflowers 01-21-2014 09:57 PM

If you mess with anal glands, they lose their elasticity and then they need to be expressed all the time, because the dog will lose the ability to do it on his own. Anal glands need to squirt with every bowel movement.

If the dog does not get enough exercise or the poops are too soft, they can't do this, and then the secretions become too thick.

We had some problems when Hans had loose stools.

I had excellent success with a product called Anal Glandz.
You put some drops in warm water, dip a cotton cosmetic oval in the solution, and hold the warm compress to the butt for as long as the dog will let you.
The solution softens the secretions and helps them get it out.
Feeding bones such as turkey necks also helps.
http://www.amazon.com/PetAlive-AnalG...246031-5119437

marbury 01-21-2014 10:38 PM

Sunflowers, I'm afraid that's not entirely accurate. But proper diet and auto-elimination is of course ideal. :)

GatorBytes 01-21-2014 11:06 PM

Don't mess w/his bum

Give him a bone

Holistic approach to anal gland problems in dogs

You can create problems - little tears that can become infected and then you will end up on abx. and then on the pharma and vet cycle of drugs, food changes, allergy tests, steroids and back round again.

Give your dog a bone.
Switch to raw.

Bman0221 01-22-2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 4880153)
Don't mess w/his bum

Give him a bone

Holistic approach to anal gland problems in dogs

You can create problems - little tears that can become infected and then you will end up on abx. and then on the pharma and vet cycle of drugs, food changes, allergy tests, steroids and back round again.

Give your dog a bone.
Switch to raw.

Ok, I don't think I am ready to go full blown raw feeding. I am, however, not opposed to giving a dog a bone. I know from reading that raw bones are best and not cooked. What type of bone/s would you recommed for a dog that don't eat a raw diet on a regular basis?

I won't lie the whole idea of him eating a raw bone makes me nervous and my wife will have a mental break down and swear I am going to kill the dog, so help me out here.

llombardo 01-22-2014 01:34 AM

I used to of it at the vets when I worked there. I haven't done it with any of my own. I would just like go have all anal glands removed on all of them .