German Shepherds Forum banner

How do I get my 8.5 year old GSD to poop?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Courtney 
#1 ·
I notice this at Dog Park Sunday, he keeps squatting but nothing comes out, a small turd did but that's it. I know it's not a blockage as he does not eat anything he's not supposed to. Wife says "foodies" and he runs to his bowl now he just lays around lethargically, he does eat the cat food when she's done with it but that's it. Should I give him a small dose of exlax or something?

#2 ·
no, you should probably take him to the vet just to be on the safe side.

If he's lethargic, and that's unusual for him, along with not being able to poop, I would err on the side of caution and take him to the vet. Better safe than sorry:)

#4 ·
Vet.................. Not being able to poop as usual and acting lethargic can be for many reasons. Constipated so bad that he won't be able to poop without help and its making him sick. Could be something going on with his intestines making it impossible to poop.
Do not try to make him poop on his own, do not give him laxative or pumpkin. Take him to the vet........ You could do damage if something internally is preventing him from pooping(tumor blocking intestines, etc).
We once had a dog come in that was constipated and very sick. We xrayed and saw "something" but not sure what. Opened him up and he was so full of dry packed fecal material, it took us along time to get his intestines cleaned out from inside and from his rectum. It was amazing how dry it had become and was almost cement constistency.

#7 ·
I was going to take him to the vet today but my wife said he's active and eating again and has more energy. I'll check him out when I get home from work in a couple of hours.

#8 · (Edited)
Get him to the vet. If he is an intact male it may be an enlarged prostate gland. That is what happened to my dog. Double checked and I see he is neutered but they can still have issues there and, obviously, other things a vet may find.

#9 ·
Yes. This was the start of my boys enlarged prostate troubles. He was eventually neutered because of it. But I brought him to the vet because of the squatting with nothing coming out or small pebble size pieces.

Also, I would want the anal glands checked, prostate examined. He could be in pain & trying to go. When you say only a small piece of poop came out- he could be stopping it himself. My husband calls it pinching it off:rolleyes:

Def. vet visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.