One year old weight - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default One year old weight

Why does my dog weigh so much? Dexter weighs 97lbs . I limit his feeding, he exercises. He's not big boned. He will be a year this week. After reading fat comments here and dogs that are over 100 lbs, im worrying. He looks fine to me, but this is my first GSD. He's 30" .

Last edited by Msmaria; 01-20-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

He is a good looking boy. He almost looks a tad thin. Maybe it's the angle of the picture.

It's not his fault he is a big boy as long as he isn't overweight for his stature. What does the vet say about his weight?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

He does not look fat or overweight to me....ours is 15 months at the end of January. He was weighed today and is 71lbs. He is a DDR/Czech so I think he is not suppose to grow past 80lbs...yours looks taller and longer than our male. Ours seem to be shorter in the shoulders, wider and stockier.
What does your vet say?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
One year old weight-imageuploadedbypg-free1390254158.395958.jpg  
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
He is a good looking boy. He almost looks a tad thin. Maybe it's the angle of the picture.

It's not his fault he is a big boy as long as he isn't overweight for his stature. What does the vet say about his weight?

I try to keep him thin, but I just took him to the vet for a adequan shot, he has HD, and vet just called me and told me to have him lose weight. He just saw his weight in the chart. He didnt see him personally.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanfam View Post
He does not look fat or overweight to me....ours is 15 months at the end of January. He was weighed today and is 71lbs. He is a DDR/Czech so I think he is not suppose to grow past 80lbs...yours looks taller and longer than our male. Ours seem to be shorter in the shoulders, wider and stockier.
What does your vet say?

Sorry.....sent before finished. Our vet was a little concerned today because miles had a huge growth spurt. He went from 62lbs to 71lbs in a matter of 5 1/2 weeks...no food increase just a major growth spurt!

He is a pretty dog...when did you start letting him run beside the bike? How did that go? I am afraid they will get tangled in the bike...:-/

Old 01-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
I try to keep him thin, but I just took him to the vet for a adequan shot, he has HD, and vet just called me and told me to have him lose weight. He just saw his weight in the chart. He didnt see him personally.
They want him to loose weight from the pics posted? I might get a second opinion, he looks tall, if he looses weight he may be to thin.....

Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

He is very tall and long, he does not look overweight, his weight looks great to me. The average 1yo GSD male is around the 75pound range, however looking at yours, he is not average due to his height and length.

Guidelines are good to go by in terms of knowing average weights, if your GSD is way under or over then if makes you question whether there is something wrong or not. In my case Harry, my 3yo GSD male, was way under the average weight for his age, so this sort of woke me up and I questioned the vet why - turns out there is a medical reason and he is being treated for it now.

With yours, average guidelines are making you and your Vet question why he is heavy - which is great. So you and your Vet need to consider why - is it a medical issue (I doubt it), his high weight is clearly due to larger height and length.

Some Vets are familiar with good weights for GSDs, some are not, this is a great opportunity to point out to your Vet that yes he is way above average weight for his age, however his height and length are above average too.

This dog is a perfect example of using your eyes and hands to determine a healthy weight. Look at him from above - does he have a nice trim weight. Look at his sides - can you clearly see his ribs (you shouldn't be able to). Feel his sides - can you feel his ribs through a thin layer of fat? Due to his larger body proportions, I would use this technique for him rather than weight guidelines.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hes neuterd and has gained about 7 pounds in the past 2 months. I keep checking by doing exactly what reading this forum has taught me. I see him everyday so its hard for me to tell if he gotten taller. Im pretty sure my vet is looking at a chart. I was concerned since ive read other heights also 30" but they weigh less. I thought he should have lost weight this month since weve been exercising him more, but he gained 2 pounds. I can feel all ribs when I rub him with my hands , the last one more.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanfam View Post
Sorry.....sent before finished. Our vet was a little concerned today because miles had a huge growth spurt. He went from 62lbs to 71lbs in a matter of 5 1/2 weeks...no food increase just a major growth spurt!

He is a pretty dog...when did you start letting him run beside the bike? How did that go? I am afraid they will get tangled in the bike...:-/

That is alot. How old is miles? When dexter was about 5 or 6 months he gained almost 8 pounds in a month. In regards to the bike we were lucky enough to have his daycare owner teaching us to have him run next to a bike. He was about 10 months. He exercises all his dogs this way. We started off really slow with my son practically walking the bike, then a little faster. We dont ride fast, just fast enough to trot him. They actually sell something that attaches to the bike where you can attach the leash without the dog being to close to the bike.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

He is almost 15 months old...he looks like he is starting to fit his head now. He has a big head....maybe we told him he was pretty to often ;-)

Thanks for the tips on bike....I have been to scared to try. I will do the walking the bike first....and work up really slowly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.