When do you know limping is serious? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy When do you know limping is serious?

My pup, Aston, is nearly two years old. A couple of days ago, he started limping. I don't know what happened but he hasn't been able to put any pressure on his right front paw. He has had a couple of leg injuries in the past where he limped for a couple of days and then was back to normal. But I don't like taking chances with injuries and want to make sure he isn't dealing with something serious.

I've lightly pressed his leg from top to bottom to see if that gets a reaction out of him and it doesn't so I'm fairly certain it isn't a bone issue. I've also flexed his joints and that, too, doesn't get a reaction out of him. Nevertheless, watching him limp is painful to watch. At the same time, he doesn't do well at the vet's office: he gets really nervous and aggressive and needs to be restrained. I have also made the mistake of rushing him to the vet way too quickly in the past.

So when do you decide it is necessary to take him to a vet for an injury like this?
AnandAcharya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

From my experience, rest your dog for two weeks. Only leashed, moderate walks, 10-15 minutes. If you have any anti-inflamatories from previous injuries you could give those too. If you don't see improve during the rest time, then take your dog to the vet. If your dog starts to limp after resting, take your dog to the ortho vet.

Our previous dog sometimes would have front limp soreness from digging gofers or in the sand. It would go away in 2 days. Our current dog has had torn ligaments in where the limping does not go away. She seemed to be good for a couple days, then limping - the on and off limping happened for 2 months, finally decided to have a surgery.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Check the pads very carefully!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did you check out the paw pads/nails and palpitate the toes? Sometimes a toe break will cause limping and with the frozen ground that doesn't give, could be he got a stress fracture on one toe.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Haven't checked the toes but will do. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Tuke acted like this with her toe fracture. She takes the first step off our deck then jumps the rest, she also likes to "bank" hard off of walls & our fence when playing ball, both put a lot of pressure on the front paws. There was no noticeable injury or accident and she too would let you mess with it.

After resting for a couple weeks, if it returns, I'd get an X-ray done. Do you use a muzzle at the vet? If Aston gets overly anxious and I'm not sure vets do this, but can they give him something to relax him? May not be ideal, but the vet could then give a proper exam. Hope the rest takes care of it, good luck.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

My boy was limping after a run, when i got him home i looked in between his little toes and sure enough he had a 2 inch thorn inbetween them. I disinfected his foot and bought him shoes, the balloon ones that are vibrant blue and make him look extra flashy.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
My boy was limping after a run, when i got him home i looked in between his little toes and sure enough he had a 2 inch thorn inbetween them. I disinfected his foot and bought him shoes, the balloon ones that are vibrant blue and make him look extra flashy.
Lol, thats cute. I'll check Aston for the same.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Tuke acted like this with her toe fracture. She takes the first step off our deck then jumps the rest, she also likes to "bank" hard off of walls & our fence when playing ball, both put a lot of pressure on the front paws. There was no noticeable injury or accident and she too would let you mess with it.

After resting for a couple weeks, if it returns, I'd get an X-ray done. Do you use a muzzle at the vet? If Aston gets overly anxious and I'm not sure vets do this, but can they give him something to relax him? May not be ideal, but the vet could then give a proper exam. Hope the rest takes care of it, good luck.
Aston does exactly that!

As far as vet visits go, Aston doesn't do muzzles either. I have spoken to my old vet about medicines and she did give me something to calm him down but I've heard those meds aren't good for the pooch. Nevertheless, if that is what's necessary, I'll have to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.