Glucosamine Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Glucosamine Question

We took the dogs to the woods to play in the snow today. I noticed my 4 year old lab leaving a "drag" mark with her rear foot on occasion. They had not had a lot of hard physical exercise in a couple of weeks and today they did a lot of running and jumping up and down the mountains side. They came in and went to sleep and when she went to get up a few minutes ago she was a little gimpy. I fear she is starting to have some hip issues and it literally breaks my heart.

I would like to do some preventative stuff for her and I had just bought a human grade bottle of Gluc/MSM/Hyaluronic Acid for myself. Here is the potency per every two pills: Glucosamine Hydrochloride 1500mg/MSM 1500 mg/HA 3.3 mg. Would this be a good supplement for her and a good daily dosage? She is about 90 pounds and after today I have definitely made up my mind to jerk some weight off her as soon as possible.

Should I give a loading dose to her and if so, for how long? Or is there a better alternative? I can certainly buy something like Cosaquin if you guys think it is better.

I can't stand the thought of her getting older and hurting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are plenty of reasons why a dog is limping. Get some x-rays first before you start throwing supplements at her. It might just be a soft tissue injury.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hopefully it's not Degenerative Myelopathy. I would have her checked out.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

NEM (Natural eggshell Membrane), 500mg ~ 1 pill a day, and starts showing improvement within 5-7 days as opposed to glucosamine/chondroitin pills at 1000mg. of 4-6 weeks.

It works. I finally started using myself (used on my dog)...had to ice my back every morning upon rising...approx. a week, no more ice, no more achy back. We (G and I) ran out and wasn't able to get for couple weeks...started feeling the pain return, not quite at icing again...been back on for 5 days...Already feeling way better. G stepped up his walk pace too
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

My understanding is that you also need chondroitin with the glucosamin (and msm). The widely publicized "GAIT" study by the National Institute on Health on glucasamine (for people) found little benefit to using it without chondroitin, as I recall--the two together seem to do something they don't do by themselves.

Here's a link to the study summary:
Questions and Answers: NIH Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial Primary Study | NCCAM

ETA: Agree re getting it checked out, BTW. It may just be arthritis -- that's okay, there's lots of options to make the dog feel better. Or it could be a minor (or major) injury. Or DM. Or a spinal problem. Or it could even be bone cancer (that recently happened to one of mine--expected the x-ray to show elbow arthritis, or even some dysplasia, and instead we found a tumor). Better to know what you are dealing with.

Last edited by Magwart; 01-19-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The leg dragging could be a knee issue (super common in labs) or a back issue or something else. It's great to get your dog on supplements but I would find out what exactly is wrong so that you can address it. Your dog might need a chiropractic adjustment or some other treatment.

For supplements I put all of my dogs on Ester C, fish oil and a good joint supplement formulated for dogs (currently Rafi is on Springtime Inc's Longevity and InClover Connectin).

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

She has her annual checkup next week and I will certainly tell the doctor about it. Thanks for the info. She seemed almost back to normal this morning.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
There are plenty of reasons why a dog is limping. Get some x-rays first before you start throwing supplements at her. It might just be a soft tissue injury.
She isn't really limping just somewhat slower than normal and walking with a altered gait. She did the same thing the last time we went to the woods. Almost like a person who hasn't gotten enough exercise and then they go to the gym..sort of like I feel this morning
Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Another thought -- if there's even a hint or suspicion the dog may possibly have DM in the future because of some neurological deficits in the vet exam, you might want to look at Dr. Clemmons list of supplements for German Shepherds (he's a DM researcher):
Degenerative Myelopathy of German Shepherds

My own vet sent me to his site to look at that list when he found my old dog was slow to right his foot when it was flipped over. It was a deficit--not a huge one, and not conclusive, but one that caused him to want to think about some added nutritional support. Dr. Clemmons list of supplements includes recommended amounts for healthy GSDs who haven't been diagnosed with DM, as well as confirmed DM cases.

I like that the suggested doses of antioxidants on the list is coming from a vet who researches in the nutrition field.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAR HEEL MOM View Post
She isn't really limping just somewhat slower than normal and walking with a altered gait. She did the same thing the last time we went to the woods. Almost like a person who hasn't gotten enough exercise and then they go to the gym..sort of like I feel this morning
With the recent swings in the weather around here of late, might just be an old injury acting up. My shoulders and hips go nuts when it's -5 one day and two days later 50 degrees.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.