Underweight 4 mo old and puppy issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Underweight 4 mo old and puppy issues

Greetings all,

We adopted our pupů Dr. Jack (the German) Shepherd when he was 8 weeks and he was diagnosed with flea anemia and subsequently required a blood transfusion and was quite underweight. Now he is healthy as ever at 4 months but only weights about 20 pounds and has pretty visible ribs. We get told that he is under weight every time he is at the vet and we have increased his food to 1 full cup of science diet, twice a day.

Another area of concern we have is his constant poop eating. We have tried the pineapple, and some vet recommended brands to put in his food but we still catch him chowing down on his poop.

Does anyone have any suggestions for these issues?
customx4209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Eating poop is pretty much just a puppy phase, they have to be taught not to do it, if it were me I would get a high quality food, science diet is nothing but filler so 2 cups isn't really much.
Apoolutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by customx4209 View Post
Greetings all,

We adopted our pupů Dr. Jack (the German) Shepherd when he was 8 weeks and he was diagnosed with flea anemia and subsequently required a blood transfusion and was quite underweight. Now he is healthy as ever at 4 months but only weights about 20 pounds and has pretty visible ribs. We get told that he is under weight every time he is at the vet and we have increased his food to 1 full cup of science diet, twice a day.

Another area of concern we have is his constant poop eating. We have tried the pineapple, and some vet recommended brands to put in his food but we still catch him chowing down on his poop.

Does anyone have any suggestions for these issues?
I know allot of vets recommend science diet (because they sell the prescription line in there clinics) but honestly it is over priced for the quality of food you are getting (aims is the same quality and half the price) I think you could go up in quality- that being said I feed solid gold wolf cub to my girl and she eats 3 cups a day, not to mention she is also being fed her kibble while we do obedience work several times a day. Maybe 2 cups just isn't enough? Though every dog will be different depending on activity level and age.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Iams***

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Two cups of food a day for a 4 month old puppy is not very much, regardless of brand. I agree with switching to a higher quality food, but I'd also increase the amount of food at each meal.

Being ill when younger could certainly set him back temporarily, but he should catch up if he's healthy now, and getting an appropriate amount of food.

As far as the poop eating, the only 100% sure way to stop that is to go outside with him every single time, and clean up the poop immediately. Halo is 5 years old, and still a determined poop eater. I've tried mixing things into her and Keefer's food, but it didn't work at all. If she had access to it, she still ate it.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

research food and find a quality food. i fed my pup 1 cup
in the am, 1 cup noonish and 1 cup in the pm. he had
training treats and a snack throughout the day.

your pup can't eat poop if you're watching him or if he's leashed.

Last edited by doggiedad; 01-19-2014 at 12:18 PM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try giving him 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening. "of what ever you are going to feed the pup" Then look at the back of the food bag to see recommended dosage for recommended weight.... The only way to stop poop eating is to clean it up every time it happens.

Last edited by Loneforce; 01-19-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

16 week old pups need more food. feed 2 cups 3X a day or 3 cups 2X a day.
As far as poop eating .... many dog owners have success feeding raw. If you don't want to go raw, sprinkle Accent - the meat tenderizer - on the kibble.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

20 pounds for a 4 month old is underweight you would want to see him round 35 pounds.

Agree with everyone else regarding the amount of food you are feeding - 2 cups does not seem enough for a pup. For your pups ribs to be visible, he is either not getting enough food or there is a medical issue such as worms or EPI.

If if were me, I would increase his food to at least double what you are giving (4 cups a day spread out over 2 feeds) and monitor him for 2 weeks. If has not not put on weight then consider testing him for EPI or worms etc.

Also, as mentioned by others Science Diet is over rated, there are many other kibble that are either better or just a good in terms of ingredients for less money. Keep in mind that if he is an EPI dog, then you may have to switch to a grain free kibble.

Let us know how he is in a couple of weeks

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

I don't think it is the kibble, it's the amount.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.